S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 rant

Old 01-18-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caideN
Someone offered you 5k for a s2000 with front end damage and 300k miles and you said no?
Yep! The point of the story was not about the price etc... What worked my nerves was that he was trying to pry my car from my hands by talking crap about it. Because HE wanted it. Like he was doing me a favor by taking it off my hands out of the "goodness of his heart". Poor me for ever buying a crappy car like an S! This is probably how he got the other two S2000's he already has.

it has cosmetic damage on the front...
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphg05
Originally Posted by caideN' timestamp='1421557842' post='23472381
Someone offered you 5k for a s2000 with front end damage and 300k miles and you said no?
Yep! The point of the story was not about the price etc... What worked my nerves was that he was trying to pry my car from my hands by talking crap about it. Because HE wanted it. Like he was doing me a favor by taking it off my hands out of the "goodness of his heart". Poor me for ever buying a crappy car like an S! This is probably how he got the other two S2000's he already has.

Given the miles and the damage, I don't think $5k is unfair

Pointing out the car's flaws and weaknesses is part of the car buying/selling process.

300k miles is impressive!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pointing out a cars flaws, and talking crap on a car are two different things. If he is a previous S2000 owner, he should know the answer to most of the questions that he asked.

When I bought my S2000, I pointed out every flaw I saw in the car. It's kind of funny when the owner pretends like they know what they are talking about when you are pointing stuff out.

"So, I see that the front bumper has been replaced or repainted."
-"No it's all OEM"
"Well someone has painted something, the faux brake vents don't come painted from the factory. Also, there's some over spray back here."
-"Umm uhhh.. yeah umm"

Everything I pointed out was not me talking crap on the car, but rather just making note of the flaws and letting the seller know I knew they were there.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you ever had someone try to talk you out of your car by bombarding you with "flaws" because they want your car???? Even worse someone who knows something about your car!

*"Isn't the car tempermental and expensive to own?"
actually NO. In 300k+ miles I have never been stranded or needed a tow home. In fact, aside from normal wear and tear items like brakes, clutch etc the only thing I have ever had to replace on my S is a coil pack... just 1... cost me 80 bucks!

*"what about that snap oversteer?"
I'm tried of hearing about this really. Snap oversteer is not an AP1 issue, it is a driver issue. Every mid to front engine RWD car I have ever owned acted in the same way (those without TCS)... If you came into a corner hot and either let off the gas of even worse hit the brakes... you were gonna eat shite. Some are worse than others... I've seen my share of 360's in my S, I'm not scared to drive it like I stole it.

*"doesn't the stock radio suck?"
Absolutely, it blows. For 35k it maybe could have been better. If it bothered me that much I would buy a nicer system.

*"i hear it eats a lot of oil"
Yep, find me an S that doesn't!

*"I bet maintenance is expensive... for tune ups and such"
Don't know.. I'm the only one who touches my S. Every time I've paid a stealership to touch my car they do dumb crap to it, and I end up fixing it myself.

*With that front end damage I could give you 5K for that car"
I'll calmly ask you to please get out of my face now!

This went on for a while... but I'll cut it at that. Nothing to see here people. Move along
Your comment about snap oversteer is so true. It's all about the driver. The whole concept is created by idiots who don't know how to drive their car.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
Pointing out a cars flaws, and talking crap on a car are two different things. If he is a previous S2000 owner, he should know the answer to most of the questions that he asked.

When I bought my S2000, I pointed out every flaw I saw in the car. It's kind of funny when the owner pretends like they know what they are talking about when you are pointing stuff out.

"So, I see that the front bumper has been replaced or repainted."
-"No it's all OEM"
"Well someone has painted something, the faux brake vents don't come painted from the factory. Also, there's some over spray back here."
-"Umm uhhh.. yeah umm"

Everything I pointed out was not me talking crap on the car, but rather just making note of the flaws and letting the seller know I knew they were there.
So, as a seller, inform the crap talking buyer that this clearly isn't the car for them, then everyone goes on their merry way.......
Old 01-20-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, if you're not wanting to sell the car.

As a seller, if you're that concerned about people pointing out flaws in the car that they are about to spend their money on, then you probably shouldn't be trying to sell the car yourself.

If you're asking $15k for a car that's realistically only worth $13k, most sellers are going to want to be informed why the buyer is offering only $13k. I'm not trying to lowball you, I'm offering what the car is actually worth to me, given the flaws that I have found after further inspecting the car. If you don't like that, then you don't take the offer, simple as that.

The car may be worth more to you as the owner, even with the flaws. No need to get offended.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caideN' timestamp='1421557842' post='23472381

You should have another look at who you call friends and who enemies mate
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't take it personally. It is simply business.

When you go buy a used car, do you tell the seller how awesome the car is and how perfect it is THEN ask them to take $1,000 off the asking price? The seller will know how much you love it and maybe you even made him/her feel like the car is worth more with all the compliments.

When you go look at a car, you look for imperfections not perfection. It's just business.

Call the guy back and sell it for $5,000 LOL
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If the damage to the front end wasn't too long ago, why not file a claim with your insurance company and get it fixed? It looks bad to me to be driving around a dented up car that you don't intend to repair or sell.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Meh, its not business.

If I am selling a car and someone says "I should pay less because YOUR S2000 has a dent here, or high mileage" then we can talk. If they are trying to get me to sell for less because the car in general is supposedly hard to drive, costs too much to maintain, etc then my answer is that you should be shopping for a different make of car, so I am done talking to you. Thats like saying "this car sucks so I should pay less" ... well then shop for a fricken camry then

On the radio ... yep, we all know it sucks .... but I dont notice with the top down honestly in the 8 months I have owned mine, that is the only thing I can say is a logical complaint ... and a small one really. You dont really buy this type of car for a radio.

Quick Reply: AP1 rant