S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ap2 VSA/Traction Control Thoughts

Old 10-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The only complaint I have is sometimes I wish it was a little less intrusive, allowed a bit more back end looseness. I hear people say its actually permissive compared to other cars.
I've found that it doesn't cut in nearly as bad as some other brands, Toyota for example. When I lose even a little bit of traction in my IS350 or my FJ it cuts the power significantly. Most of the time, I don't even know when the traction control on the S is kicking in. I hit a questionable patch and have to look down to see if the light is blinking. The other day I got it absolutely stupid sideways turning a slow corner (so bad that a pre-'06 would surely have spun) and that was the first time I felt the traction control do something obtrusive. Plenty of room, no other cars nearby, I just wanted to see what it took to know that it was working.

A buddy of mine with an '03 follows me to lunch every Friday, and he makes a point of stating that he doesn't feel comfortable driving his car as fast as I do because he doesn't have the traction control.

My second favorite benefit to the '06+ cars: lowering VTEC!

Power delivery through the 5-6.5K range is so much smoother. I'm ~19 horsepower higher right before the old VTEC engagement point, plus you gain all that power under the curve. Whenever we do meets locally and I explain this change, I like to take people for a quick drive to show the difference.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had my 04 S2k for 8 years. Deal with good rainfall in south Florida and have never lost control of my car. I do not feel I need the VSA to drive safely, I just watch HOW I drive depending on the conditions of the road etc. You can completely drive this car like a civic if the weather is not cooperating.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control on my old genesis coupe would kill power for an eternity it felt like. That's how bad it was.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've only had the VSA on once, but it was pretty predictable. The one in my Lexus cuts power quite noticeably, but then again it has 310 ft-lbs it has to take care of.

As long as VSA can be turned off, I don't see how one would not want it (aside from protecting your ego).
Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've only had the VSA on once, but it was pretty predictable. The one in my Lexus cuts power quite noticeably, but then again it has 310 ft-lbs it has to take care of.

As long as VSA can be turned off, I don't see how one would not want it (aside from protecting your ego).
$$$$
Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
$$$$
VSA has the potential to save $$$$ and headaches by preventing accidents. I don't daily my car and I live in the midwest with a horrible climate, so I don't get to drive my car often. Even then, when I was searching for my S2k I knew it had to be 06+ because I wanted to lower my chances of getting into an accident. I don't find it intrusive at all and it can be turned off if you so desire (I don't.) It's saved my (perhaps too aggressive) butt a few times.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 PM

I would like vsa, but I have an '01 that I daily drive so I obviously didn't go that way. That being said, I drive according to conditions and I only throw it around when I want to and when it feels safe. There have been 2 times in 2 years where it would have been useful. Once in the rain where I got a little sideways releasing the clutch from a stop, and once on a canyon run when I nearly spun from hitting a dip while downshifting rather poorly. Both have which could have been avoided by being more careful and less aggressive.

In the end, vsa would be nice if driven aggressively off the track or in poor road conditions, but unnecessary in my opinion. No comment on aftermarket vsa systems.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:22 AM

Well... I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I respect all the input. Just yesterday I found an 07 LGP down in Oregon; bought it tonight about 5 hours ago. I am beyond happy. This car is beautiful.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by sylvester_0
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1412358054' post='23355405
$$$$
VSA has the potential to save $$$$ and headaches by preventing accidents. I don't daily my car and I live in the midwest with a horrible climate, so I don't get to drive my car often. Even then, when I was searching for my S2k I knew it had to be 06+ because I wanted to lower my chances of getting into an accident. I don't find it intrusive at all and it can be turned off if you so desire (I don't.) It's saved my (perhaps too aggressive) butt a few times.
I know! I'm purely saying those who don't like or hate the thought of having VSA would say why bother spending the extra money. I'm looking into an 06+ or equipping Racelogic if I find an older one~

Originally Posted by sneec
Well... I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I respect all the input. Just yesterday I found an 07 LGP down in Oregon; bought it tonight about 5 hours ago. I am beyond happy. This car is beautiful.
Glad to hear that, congrats!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 AM

[QUOTE="sneec"]Well... I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I respect all the input. Just yesterday I found an 07 LGP down in Oregon; bought it tonight about 5 hours ago. I am beyond happy. This car is beautiful.[/QUOTE

Congrats on your pickup. Enjoy your Lady S.