S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Apt complex won't let me wash car on property!

Old 03-12-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apt complex won't let me wash car on property!

I wish there was some way to wash the car without having to drive to a do-it-yourself car wash and then drive it back before waxing it. My aprt prohibits anyone washing / working on their car when on apt property.

2 questions:

1) Is it legal for them to prohibit it? Technically, I rent the carport so shouldn't I be able to do what I want with it...within reason?

2) Would this idea create a lot of scratches or other negative results? I'm thinking of using a damp soapy towel to wipe everything down and then another clean damp one to "rinse" it. This way, I might be able to get around the rule.

Need help,
Dirty S.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Administrator

1) Of course it's legal, you live on their property. You rent from them and have to abide by their conditions.

2) I wouldn't. I'd go to a commercial do-it-yourself place to wash it, bring your own mitt and soap if you want, then bring it home to wax/detail it.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:11 PM
WPS

wax it at the diy car wash on the side?
wash car at 4am?>
move?

if its a co-op you don't technically own it so you have to abide by their rules. or offer to wash everyones car.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:16 PM
WPS

oops double post. hmm cant delete
Old 03-12-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As it's private property that someone else owns, they can basically make any rule they desire, so long as it doesn't go against your constitutional rights or those of the Fair Housing laws.

That being said, they can't really stop you from taking a bucket of water/soap out there and wash down the car if you are in a rented space (i.e., you pay extrra for it), and as long as it does not affect others. This would be akin to them saying you cannot smoke in your apartment. Now, they could claim the soapy water creates a slip hazard, or some such nonsense, but it would get laughed out of court.

In the end, it all depends on how far you want to take it, but I have a feeling a judge would side with you if there's no undue harm created.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:03 PM

My lease agreement states, "No car repairing or washing shall be done at any time in or about the premises," but I've washed my car in the parking lot without any problems and so have some of my neighbors.

I only imagine your landlord would have a problem if you wash your car in a way that would:
A) Take up other parking spots or prevent people from parking or getting to their cars.
B) Make too much noise in the process or washing your car or with your stereo.
C) Leave the area where you washed your car littered, slippery, or dangerous to park or walk across.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:04 PM

why don't you just wash your car at your friend's house or your parent's house?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:26 PM

That being said, they can't really stop you from taking a bucket of water/soap out there and wash down the car if you are in a rented space (i.e., you pay extrra for it), and as long as it does not affect others. This would be akin to them saying you cannot smoke in your apartment. Now, they could claim the soapy water creates a slip hazard, or some such nonsense, but it would get laughed out of court.
Uhhhhh, who pays the water bill?

Find out the reason for the prohibition then post it here. It could be valid; it could be negotiable. It's best not to stir waters, especially when it involves your home. This despite all the attorneys on this board.

Gerry
Old 03-12-2004, 07:17 PM

yup that is kinda dumb
i live in an apartment and they put the 3 days notice to move out on my door after i wash my car at apartment parking lot
they said it is against the rule
so i havent washed my car for like 3 months i aint gonna take my car to one of those big tunnel with all kinds brushes inside
and i drove 4 hours to my parents house today and washed mine
looks clean now lol also polished
Old 03-12-2004, 10:16 PM

The funny thing is....
all my friends live in apts also.

I'm not going to make waves, but this is really annoying. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Apt complex won't let me wash car on property!