S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Aussie tuner claims +27% power...

Old 04-17-2001, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone from the engineering department here please explain why they got an improvement from 152 hp to 195 hp; but most of the dyno results I've seen on this forum give a 195 hp to 205 hp as standard for stock?

Could their dyno really be reading 27% worse than most of the others here? Maybe the Aussie cars are different?

I understand that there is dyno to dyno variation and the best way to use a dyno to for repeated testing on the same vehicle, nonetheless, the numbers seem suspect.

As has already been pointed out, their "baseline" is not the same car as their "27% improvement" car.

By the way, 195/152=1.283. Why didn't they claim a 28% improvement?

Do our S2000s really run too rich in the high rpm range?

Are Aussie S2000s really anemic compared to U.S. S2000s? Do they only have 236 hp at the fly wheel while we have 240, and the Japanese have 247?

Being a good scientist, I'd like to see this study replicated.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the power loss goes, Page 2 says their loss was "...a bit more than the 30 per cent often quoted for this dyno...". Could a really inneficient dyno account for such a loss? It doesn't make sense, as you would think they would take that inneficiency into account when calculating rear-wheel horsepower, but the'r wording makes the low figure seem like the dyno's fault, not the car's.

Anyone?
Old 04-17-2001, 05:11 AM
tze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argh didnt anyone read my post???

THe dyno they have used is an endyn dyno, as apposed to the roller type dynos that is more common in the US.

I can't remember the technical specs but the endyn type dynos WILL ALWAYS READ LOWER, bc they work ona different principal.

You can still compare relative changes on teh dyno thou.

Look above for my comment regarding rpm holding on endyn dynos!!!!
Old 04-17-2001, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The entire story regarding the exhaust changes does not jive with anything reported anywhere else in the world. I question the credibility of the story.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:35 AM

>>Look above for my comment regarding rpm holding on endyn dynos!!!! <<

I agree. The type of dyno they used allows much easier custom ECU tuning. You can easily fine tune different parts of the map. On the road tuning is still needed to get the best driveability though.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the exact power levels. The relative differences are what matter the most in my experience. Remember that they tuned the different parts to work well together. If you just slap on an exhaust and see no gain it is possible that the potential is there but only if the ECU is tweaked accordingly. If you check some of the adj FPR posts on this board some are finding the same thing they did..that the motor is run extra super rich in some ranges to the detriment of output. Perhaps Honda wanted to keep the temps down. From memory it sounds like they retuned spark, fuel and VTEC engagment among other things via the MOTEC.

Having said all of the above, the tests need to be confirmed by others and on other cars.

Stan
Old 04-17-2001, 05:41 AM

The S2000 here comes with 176kW - that is exaclty 240hp, which is the same as you guys get in the US. Also, that power is quoted with 95 octane fuel which is the 'standard' premium fuel. I just had a Honda rep tell me a week ago that they've had reports of some people 'pinging' their engines with 95 octane fuel so he was saying to run 98 octane fuel (which is the best you can get here). From what the local car people say, we get extra 4kW of power with this fuel and get 180kW - that is 245hp. Anyway, as far as I know, Aust, US and Eouropean S2000 are virtualy identical ... the only difference is the weight (and even that difference is insignificant ... I think the US model is about 6kg heavier than ours).

Anyway, back to the dyno result ... let's look at it this way, even if we get 4hp less here than in the US, that still does not explain why we'd get 50hp less at the wheel - we got exaclty the same equipment and you cannot get any closer to sea level that here. That means that it's just an 'unusual' reading and the scale if out of whack.

As far as the 27% inrovement goes - I don't buy it and think it's a scam. If noone here was not able to get more 10 -15% here with all the mods then I seriously doubt they can. Also, I doubt very much that they can beat anything that Mugen does ... and Mugen cannot get more than about 10hp extra with exhaust , chip and throttle body (and that is not max - it's midrange). I think they have a dodgy 'OME reading' (maybe on purpose 'messed up' S2000) and then all they did was get the car back to OME condition.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:41 AM

8 hp from a cold air intake seems a bit too good to be true too, but if this series of mods is as good as the article says I'm sure we will hear more about it. I'd buy their bolt-on kit if they will create such a thing and can verify the dyno numbers. I'd also need to know how much they leaned out the fuel mix, wouldn't want to go too far there.

[grey]--------------------------o0o---------------------------[/grey]

[grey]2000 S2000 - 1998 VFR800 - 2000 Atos[/grey]
Old 04-17-2001, 05:42 AM
tze

I will give them a call tmrw - its now 11:40pm and I am at work

Can someone check up about the honda club stuff and the supposed tests they did on member's cars?
Old 04-17-2001, 05:45 AM
tze

I WILL SAY IT ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
THE READING WAS ON AN ENDYN DYNO - THEY DO NOT GIVE THE SAME WHP READING AS A ROLLER DYNO LIKE A DYNO JET.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CRAPPY DYNOS OR CRAPPY CARS OR THE LIKE.

% CHANGES CAN STILL BE LOOKED AT
!
!
!
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!
!
!
!
Old 04-17-2001, 05:48 AM
stk

MOTEC is in deed the best ECU avaliable in the market. It is reliable, accurate and has more functions than you can imagine. However, before you install a MOTEC in your car, make sure you know someone who knows how to tune it. MOTEC is famous in the WRX circle as a "hard to tune" ECU and many WRX owners simply stay away from MOTEC because of this (and also because of its price). You will need an experienced and qualified MOTEC tuner to do the tuning. There are not many qualified MOTEC tuners around. Another thing you have to consider about using an after market ECU is reliability. Sure, the article states that a MOTEC can give you 27% increase in power, but for how long????? It doesn't tell you how long that increase lasted for. The power increase may last only a month or even a week before the engine fails. I have seen this happened when my friend tried to get the maximum power out of a WRX engine. The car did very well on the dyno, we thought it would run like that forever, we had heaps of fun with it and the engine just gave up after a week.

Quick Reply: Aussie tuner claims +27% power...