S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AUT Cooling Plate + K&N FIPK II

Old 12-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the FIPK for a few months prior to installing the AUT cooling plate, and the car honestly feels the same AFTER installing the cooling plate. I don't think there's really a difference...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by TimesNewRoman,Dec 26 2006, 11:44 AM
...I think it's kind of hard to quantify that sort of thing when we're dealing with such a small, low-torque producing engine. It may be an issue when coming off of the line, when the car is not moving, but that's going to be an issue anyway with this car since the engine doesn't make a lot of torque, there's a clutch delay valve and oh yeah, the engine doesn't make a lot of torque. Once you get moving, though, I don't see it being much of a problem...
It's not hard at all and I even have my delay valve removed.

Where do you live? Because if you come down to south Florida, Texas, Arizona, California ect... you are going to experience major heat bog. It's not weather the S does it or not, plain and simple, it does do it. Hence the question.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by cgkms,Dec 26 2006, 12:04 PM
Installation of AUT plate: I agree with above. A b!tch to take off the stock little radiator cover. I installed mine without having to break off one of the plastic clips, but with my mate's we had to break one.

Heat bog: I've got that setup and I do get heat bog. It occurs when I'm sitting idle in traffic, in a hot day and then try to accelerate when the light goes green. Your rev's go low and the car almost deels like it about to stall if you don't give enough throttle. The hot air accumulates in the box and the intake gets one big suck of hot air. But after you get moving its all ok.

But to tell you the truth i found its pretty much the same as when I used to have the original stock airbox. I had a lot of bogging with stock as well. So theres no increase or decrease in heat bogging either way.

The setup is fantastic even if it gives minimal gains. ONly thing, the engine bay is really empty now.
So basically this system is just for the sound. I gather this from what some of you have posted.

Screw that, I'd rather buy something if it would at least give me an 4-5 extra horses.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GranPrix,Dec 27 2006, 05:54 AM
So basically this system is just for the sound. I gather this from what some of you have posted.

Screw that, I'd rather buy something if it would at least give me an 4-5 extra horses.
But it was dyno proven that it does gain 9.5 whp at 6500 RPM. So it does do something other than just sound.

Andre
Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Dec 27 2006, 06:24 AM
But it was dyno proven that it does gain 9.5 whp at 6500 RPM. So it does do something other than just sound.

Andre
I did not know that, thanks. Dyno proven on K&N's site or private dyno?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by GranPrix,Dec 27 2006, 06:27 AM
I did not know that, thanks. Dyno proven on K&N's site or private dyno?
Both... with the same results.

Someone didn't want to trust the K&N dyno... so he took it upon himself to find out and it was the same... they didn't lie... lol.

Andre
Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 AM

That wasn't on a F22C though. Not sure what it gains (or loss) is. I have the K&N but not the AUT, it's louder, seems to make a difference but I haven't dynoed my car because I didn't really care, I was just getting bored and wanted to change something.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the AUT plate adds restriction to the air passage to the filter. If you notice, there is a scoop sculptured into the bonnet of the S and the AUT plate fills up this space with its own scoop, which means it has to be constricting airflow somewhat. Maybe this is offset with the higher pressure air coming in from the radiator opening now, but the net effect is the AUT makes no difference to me, it just looks good.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this talk of heat soak, I would think that the stock airbox is a prime candidate for heat soak with such a large volume of material located directly downstream of the radiator.

At least with the FIPK the air does not remain in the tube very long, thus less time to heat up, even if the tube is somewhat heated.

I have my FIPK box sealed up a bit more and it feels like there is something there at speed. Maybe I could mount up a pressure gauge in the box near the filter to see.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by bigteninch,Dec 27 2006, 01:28 PM
All this talk of heat soak, I would think that the stock airbox is a prime candidate for heat soak with such a large volume of material located directly downstream of the radiator.

At least with the FIPK the air does not remain in the tube very long, thus less time to heat up, even if the tube is somewhat heated.

I have my FIPK box sealed up a bit more and it feels like there is something there at speed. Maybe I could mount up a pressure gauge in the box near the filter to see.
I think it would be better to mount a temp gauge instead to see what happens to the temp in the FIPK filter area. Are there like temp data loggers that could be used to take these readinds while moving?

Andre

Quick Reply: AUT Cooling Plate + K&N FIPK II