S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

auto dimming rear view mirror?

Old 05-29-2002, 08:09 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto dimming rear view mirror?

anyone ever try to fit an auto dimming rearview mirror onto their s2000? from looking at some other autos (MB, Lexus, Toyota, Audi) with dimming mirrors, it seems that all i need is a power connection and some method of attatching the mirror to the windshield. some mirrors also come with a built in 2 or 3 channel garage door remote..

im sick and tired of being blinded at night when i have the top down!

perhaps one of the board sponsors could work something out?

and while you're at it, stuff a V1 concealed display in there too!

b
Old 05-29-2002, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sondra got one for her protoge 5. its not installed but I can look through some of the instructions and see if its anything that bad. I dont think it should be, and it runs just over $200, maybe $250, but keep in mind, it has other features such as a compass, temp in/out, and time (?). It might be very doable.

now the V1 concealed display... well, seen it on a few custom Ferrari jobs, but its not in the budget range you are looking for.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the link handy but there's an aftermarket company that advertises in every issue of auotweek tha sells what you're looking for. i think the company is named nvs or something like that.

the mirrors are $200 plus but include a temp. display and a compass, i think. maybe check autoweeks web page and see if you can find a link.

for what it's worth, the "auto dimming" mirrors in our lexus is not a feature that i like. i almost always turn off the dimmer and prefer the simplicity of manually flipping the inside mirror down. i like to be able to see what's behind me (read cop cars) more than just headlights. it's just added cost, added weight, and something else to break, imo.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My girlfriend has the auto dimming rear view mirror on her Jetta and I hate it. I can't tell what is behind me at night. All I see as bunch of headlights. I can't even make out the silhouettes of the cars. It really bugs the hell out of me.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:17 PM

I have that on my Explorer. Along with a thermometer and compass. I love it. I don't even notice the change. I wish the S had it as well.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:18 PM
bkw

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voodoo_S2K
[B]My girlfriend has the auto dimming rear view mirror on her Jetta and I hate it.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"never look back"
Old 05-29-2002, 04:51 PM

I am looking into getting one myself. I've always missed it from my previous '99 TL!
The only one I'm considering is made by Donnoly (spelling?).
Old 05-29-2002, 06:28 PM

Da Hapa,

What kind of Lexus do you have? Mine doesn't have a flip down mirror, just a button to deactivate the dimmer (all models I have seen don't have a flip anymore, just the button). Mine also shades the two side mirrors, but it is very logical and only activates when the light is too bright, otherwise it returns to normal.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:13 PM

My old '01 GTI VR6 had one, and my dad's M5 has one. I love them, I wish my car had one. Neither of those had an on/off switch though

Quick Reply: auto dimming rear view mirror?