S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

avoid GEICO if you can

Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a LOT of bad things about Geico. I have Nationwide and let me tell you, they have never been anything but friendly and fair to me.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmmm I have Geico at the moment. This is horse shit. What company is decent to go with? I have have them for over 5 years with 0 claims. It might be time to cut my losses and find a new company.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:40 AM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

Was your top patched before the vandalism?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is nothing wrong with an aftermarket top. It isn't like the OEM one is that great. Black ductape the cut until you get the car in the shop.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:13 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I dont see what the problem is? This is how insurance works. They pay to replace what you have with something of equal value. You have a 9 year old top that already had holes. Good luck "demanding" oem parts.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entire reason I'm paying insurance is with the expectation that I'm getting new parts in case stupid shit like this happens... I can understand replacing a car with a similar one or having a policy like this if you're the one at fault, but a claim where SOMEONE ELSE is at fault, even if it's my insurance company paying it out because the thief can't be caught, still should be replaced with a new part, because there's no way to guarantee no pre-existing damages on a used part.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I seem to recall that it is illegal for them to try and force you to choose any specific body shop. The fact that they're trying to offer you less if you don't take it to one they prefer is grounds for a lawsuit, I'd say.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM

Sorry to hear of the vandalism and what seems even worse now, dealing with the horrible insurance situation. Seems like car insurance claim bs issues come in a close second to health insurance claims!

Social Media! Post your grips on their facebook, Twitter, etc. You'd be surprised on the reaction you get. No need to post your whole story, just the jist of it. I took this route with another company and my issues were addressed a lot quicker than me calling. Social Media is a big facet of a company's image and theres always representatives watching what people post on their sites. Not saying it'll work for you, but at least it will bring the situation to a bigger audience.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Has anyone read their insurance agreement with Geico? IIRC, all of these policies and procedures are outlined in that packet you receive in the mail then throw away as you think you'll never need to reference it...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 AM

Well its kind of like this. Imagine if your door had bullet holes in it with a shitty bondo job over it. Then it gets hit by a baseball and causes a huge dent. They are really only liable for the baseball dent not the bullet holes and the shitty bondo you had previously. They may try and help compensate some for bullet holes but theres no reason they would or should accept liability for previous damage. I would've taken all the patches off prior to calling an adjuster, but that's just me.

I've delt with quite a few claims before including the same as yours so i'll provide more input. Also when you signed up for your policy, you most likely waived the right to use "OEM PARTS". On most insurance policies this is an extra option which would require an additional premium. If you chose this option, then keep fighting. If you did not choose this option then you will not win in court. Most policies have it written in the fine print that aftermarket parts may be used. I've had robins tops before, and they are just as good as OEM. They actually look much more black than the OEM tops which is really nice.