S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

battery

 
Old 01-30-2019, 07:56 AM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illnoise. WAY downtown, jerky.
Posts: 4,415
Likes: 0
Recieved 128 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Install the costco 51R battery in reversed/flipped orientation.

Now the terminals are in the correct fore/aft spots.

Easy peasy.
B serious is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 573
Likes: 0
Recieved 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by engifineer View Post
It is always cool to see how long some OEM batteries last. I know that for Toyota, a lot of theirs were made by Panasonic. The OEM in one of my Toyota products lasted 10 years of daily driving and MN winters before it started struggling.

I had read somewhere that Japanese manufactured Hondas also used Panasonic batteries ,but US built cars used Delphi batteries (which are pretty much junk in comparison).
I had a Costco (branded Kirkland) battery and it finally died on me after 6 years. And only because I didn't turn the car on and killed it when I pumping air into my tires.
Say Chi Sin Lo is online now  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 AM
  #13  
CMK
 
CMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 638
Recieved 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Honda's warranty on their batteries rivals Costco's as well. Made the decision easy for me.
CMK is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 12:30 PM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Foothills East of Sacramento
Posts: 2,804
Recieved 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
Install the costco 51R battery in reversed/flipped orientation.

Now the terminals are in the correct fore/aft spots.

Easy peasy.
I thought about that and investigated how well that would work a few years ago. Perhaps it was how they made the 2009s but the cable reach for that idea was extremely tight. When the Honda dealer matched Costco's price and added installation, I went for the OEM.
cosmomiller is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 563
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I too installed a Honda-branded battery back in 2017 and never looked back. If I recall correctly, it was around $110 before core charge.

Originally Posted by engifineer View Post
I know that for Toyota, a lot of theirs were made by Panasonic. The OEM in one of my Toyota products lasted 10 years of daily driving and MN winters before it started struggling.
This still holds true today. My 2019 4Runner (built in Japan) runs a Panasonic battery. Curious if the US-built Toyotas also run Panasonics...
DL771 is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 01:39 PM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illnoise. WAY downtown, jerky.
Posts: 4,415
Likes: 0
Recieved 128 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I thought about that and investigated how well that would work a few years ago. Perhaps it was how they made the 2009s but the cable reach for that idea was extremely tight. When the Honda dealer matched Costco's price and added installation, I went for the OEM.

I would have done the same, if price was similar/same as in your case.

Correct orientation (no chance of wire rubbing thru the insulation), and OEM badging.
B serious is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 AM
  #17  
Registered User
 
Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 757
Recieved 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DL771 View Post
I too installed a Honda-branded battery back in 2017 and never looked back. If I recall correctly, it was around $110 before core charge.


This still holds true today. My 2019 4Runner (built in Japan) runs a Panasonic battery. Curious if the US-built Toyotas also run Panasonics...
Probably not. It makes sense from the standpoint that it's much easier to source batteries domestically vs. importing them if they can help it. I'm sure it's cheaper for them to just buy on their own soil, kinda like how we pay outrageous sums for JDM parts that are silly cheap over there....Who knows. I remember all of the Subaru guys going nuts spending big money to get the black Tokyo Roki oil filters for their STis as it was made in Japan and they felt it was much higher quality, and also what the car came with from the factory, over getting the blue ones from the dealer.
Kyle is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Legal Bill
S2000 Vintage Owners
11
06-09-2017 08:18 AM
S2K-Phil
UK & Ireland S2000 Community
25
11-17-2012 04:09 AM
cupracing
UK & Ireland S2000 Community
11
12-19-2011 08:12 AM
Paper Lawyer
UK & Ireland S2000 Community
17
07-14-2008 01:28 AM
blacks2k
Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners
9
06-25-2002 02:59 PM


Quick Reply: battery


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands