S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Battery draw down

Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery draw down

I have a 2006 S2000 with 212,000 miles on it. Not much wrong with it although it probably should have the clutch, pressure plate and bearing replaced. Frankly it has pretty much turned into a garage queen. The real problem is that it sits for 2 months and the battery drains down to about 4 or 5%. Any ideas on where to look for what is draining it?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

This is normal and expected. The remote lock system and some other electronics are always sucking amps from the battery Two weeks just sitting is enough to kill a weak battery. Your battery will not survive severe discharges very long.

Two simple solutions:
1. A battery "tender" connected when not in use. Since you're starting with a full battery this just keeps it there easily. Gotta have access to120vAC though. My car is on one now.
2. Battery disconnect switch on the negative terminal. Common marine/auto store part connects to the battery and the negative cable connects to the disconnect. Has insulated nut on top that just gets loosened to remove the battery from the system. In cold weather battery charge will remain good months. You'll need your radio code when you reconnect. I use this when parked at (for example) the airport for a couple of weeks (another car).

Lead acid batteries also experience self discharge all by themselves but this has proved minor in my experience killing batteries by several other means.

I'm betting your battery is already toast. Quick test:

Disconnect the battery Negative terminal. (Find your radio code first).
a. Charge with a modern battery charger of at least 10 amps capacity and charge for 24 hours. Don't skimp. Battery voltage will measure good in an hour but that's just the surface charge. 24 hours is necessary.
b. Disconnect charger and let the battery sit not attached to anything for 24 hours. Let it sit. Don't draw power from it.
c. Leaving the battery disconnected measure the voltage. Should be 12.7vDC. If it's lower than 12.6vDV go back to step (a) and try again -- but this rarely works.

Load test the battery. You can get a load tester at Harbor Freight and most auto stores for $25. These put large current drain in the battery and show the condition.

HTH,

-- Chuck
Old 02-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Buy a new battery. They only really last 4-6 years.
I found a tender will wear a battery out faster than just leaving it unplugged.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
This is normal and expected. The remote lock system and some other electronics are always sucking amps from the battery Two weeks just sitting is enough to kill a weak battery. Your battery will not survive severe discharges very long.

Two simple solutions:
1. A battery "tender" connected when not in use. Since you're starting with a full battery this just keeps it there easily. Gotta have access to120vAC though. My car is on one now.
2. Battery disconnect switch on the negative terminal. Common marine/auto store part connects to the battery and the negative cable connects to the disconnect. Has insulated nut on top that just gets loosened to remove the battery from the system. In cold weather battery charge will remain good months. You'll need your radio code when you reconnect. I use this when parked at (for example) the airport for a couple of weeks (another car).

Lead acid batteries also experience self discharge all by themselves but this has proved minor in my experience killing batteries by several other means.

I'm betting your battery is already toast. Quick test:

Disconnect the battery Negative terminal. (Find your radio code first).
a. Charge with a modern battery charger of at least 10 amps capacity and charge for 24 hours. Don't skimp. Battery voltage will measure good in an hour but that's just the surface charge. 24 hours is necessary.
b. Disconnect charger and let the battery sit not attached to anything for 24 hours. Let it sit. Don't draw power from it.
c. Leaving the battery disconnected measure the voltage. Should be 12.7vDC. If it's lower than 12.6vDV go back to step (a) and try again -- but this rarely works.

Load test the battery. You can get a load tester at Harbor Freight and most auto stores for $25. These put large current drain in the battery and show the condition.

HTH,

-- Chuck
Thanks, will go with a battery disconnect. Battery is less than a year old and did come back to full charge.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Buy a new battery. They only really last 4-6 years.
I found a tender will wear a battery out faster than just leaving it unplugged.
I'd be curious to know of the specifics behind your conclusion.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Yeah, that's a first for me.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Originally Posted by CMK
Yeah, that's a first for me.

Just personal experience. Some last longer of course. I live in the mid-west though where harsh winters can expose weakening batterings.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I have not experienced any issues with my battery tenders lowering the life expectancy of my batteries as of yet. Winters are a little more harsh up here in Canada but my cars are stored in a heated environment throughout the winter.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I've had good luck using a Deltran Battery Tender on my motorcycle batteries. I would think that if you live in a colder climate, unless your battery is going to be stored in a heated environment, you would be better off with a good battery tender (not a simple trickle charger) as opposed to simply disconnecting the battery.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 AM

me also i love honda s2000.

Quick Reply: Battery draw down