S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Been wondering for a while

Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been wondering for a while

Hello i have been wondering for the longest what i have to do to own one of these really nice cars this will be my first car i buy on my own so im on a tight budget considering i'm in school and have to buy it on my own. I have been looking around and s2000's prices have just shot up in the past year in my area so that made me consider buying a rebuilt or salvage what do you guys think about rebuilt or salvage titles or clean with high miles for example 110k miles thanks for your input
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Never mind dad won't let me buy rebuilt title i really want an s2000 what about high miles
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

These cars are super reliable even with 100k+ miles as long as they had regular maintenance performed.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personal opinion - great you want a car but if you're having to scrape together money to afford a REBUILT one? Then you can't afford the car.

Save your money and buy a nice one - keeping in mind your insurance will potentially double depending on what you drive now.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Desire is a great thing. It pushes you to find a way to make things happen. But don't let desire influence you into making a decision that you will later regret because you didn't show patience. Take your time, save your money and learn how to enjoy desire. It's as much a part of life as having the desire filled.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As a student who will probably be in school for a long while after I graduate due to grad work, I can tell you the only way I am able to afford this car is because my girlfriend of 4 years' step dad is a mechanic and my pops is a service manager at a nissan dealership. Wholesale tire prices, free oil changes and maintenance are whats keeping me afloat. Just because you can afford a $15k car doesn't mean you can afford to keep it on the road and running. Holds true even more so with high mileage cars.

My rear tires need replacing every 10-15k miles, which will normally run $300-$400 for both, oil changes at a shop i believe run around $100 each and not to mention big things that need to be replaced with high mileage like clutches and other random things that happen. My 120k AP1 burns oil in vtec, so in between my 5k mile oil changes, I also throw in an extra 3 quarts of oil to keep the oil level at the proper height on the dipstick, so thats usually $40 spent on extra oil every few months.

With that said, if you can afford it, keep your eyes open. Good deals come a long all the time, Good luck!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
My 120k AP1 burns oil in vtec, so in between my 5k mile oil changes, I also throw in an extra 3 quarts of oil to keep the oil level at the proper height on the dipstick, so thats usually $40 spent on extra oil every few months.
Wow! What kind of oil you buying that's over $13 a quart?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Personal opinion - great you want a car but if you're having to scrape together money to afford a REBUILT one? Then you can't afford the car.

Save your money and buy a nice one - keeping in mind your insurance will potentially double depending on what you drive now.
^ What he said is true. It sound like you are young, probably under 20 years old. These cars cost a fortune to insure under full coverage when you are young and if you don't get full coverage you are taking a huge risk as these cars are also easy to wreck, especially by young/inexperienced drivers and once the tires get bad the chance of that wreck goes WAY up and tires tend to be bad when you can barely afford to make the insurance payments.

I understand the desire to have a nice car in school but believe me it's much better to get out of college with almost no college debt to pay and get a good job and then buy the car of your dreams! Beater cars are best for college campuses anyway.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM

tell your poppa all used cars have shot up in price because no one bought a new car since 2008 lol
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks i will just save for longer and my parents said if i finance one for like 15k they will help me if i need like pay insurance and i pay monthly payment and gas etc.

Quick Reply: Been wondering for a while