S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Behavior in S2000 Talk

Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile Behavior in S2000 Talk

I'm tired of trolls and nasty folks. Aren't you? What's up with these people?

For those of you who aren't aware, we who moderate the s2ki.com forums (specifically, poindexter, s2000gt, and I in S2000 Talk) do so because we care about the s2ki community and want it to continue to be successful. Please understand that we don't get paid for this "work," and the truth is that we have little authority over the membership. The point is that we try to keep the site useful and enjoyable, but we can't prevent losers from trolling or insulting people. That's a fact of life given the way s2ki works.

If you encounter some nasty behavior in your travels, please continue to report any offense to us, but understand that we cannot simply ban people at will. Your report gets considered and we do what we can. Please *do not* report a post or PM us and tell us what a crappy job we're doing by not monitoring every thread every minute of the day and by not banning people; that kind of gets under my skin, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd just add, don't feed the trolls by posting in their threads - just ignore the posts and ignore the users.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not just in S2000 Talk, it's the entire site.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly I won't disagree -- I know from experience that moderating an Internet forum is thankless and unfun. I would submit, however, that your job would be rendered easier if you lightened up your trigger on banning. Maybe the forum rules need to be tweaked a bit to accommodate it, but it seems to me that in many users' (mostly guests') cases it would be easier to ban them, for long periods of time or permanently, than to field reports and PMs from those whom they upset.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the best improvement to the site would be for posts originated by people on my "Ignore" list to not show up. As it is, if someone I've ignored posts a new thread, I see it; if I don't recognize the screen name as one I've determined is very unlikely to contribute anything I consider valuable, I sometimes inadvertently open the thread.

There would be no problem with trolls if those who choose to ignore them never saw their posts again. There would probably be fewer pleas for banishment if people had the option to click the "Ignore" button and effectively ban that user from their view of S2KI.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Jan 18 2007, 07:23 AM
IMHO, the best improvement to the site would be for posts originated by people on my "Ignore" list to not show up. As it is, if someone I've ignored posts a new thread, I see it; if I don't recognize the screen name as one I've determined is very unlikely to contribute anything I consider valuable, I sometimes inadvertently open the thread.

There would be no problem with trolls if those who choose to ignore them never saw their posts again. There would probably be fewer pleas for banishment if people had the option to click the "Ignore" button and effectively ban that user from their view of S2KI.
Ahhhh...ya know, you have a built in ignore mechanism for which you alone are responsible.

Meet the Brain.

If someone says something you don't agree with, ignore him. Not with a special combination of application flags and filters...but with your brain. So much easier. Absolutely zero overhead. No high maintenance. Easy. Why make it hard?

Banning has its place, but it more for threats or other types of extreme behaviour.

Reality check in order. It is just a forum. Take what you can from the stuff you like, ignore the rest.

If you see something you don't like, don't read it. Skip it. Scroll button on mouse be your personal friend and come to your birthday party. You may not like something, but maybe it offers a bit of levity for some others that are having a bit of fun. Nobody forces you to 'endure' or read anything. It's all you.

Take personal resposiblity and accountability, bad habit to rely on (and in some cases whine consistently to others).
Old 01-18-2007, 06:41 AM

it's why I don't socialize here, I just use it for technical questions and know-how
Old 01-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by shrike,Jan 18 2007, 10:16 AM
Certainly I won't disagree -- I know from experience that moderating an Internet forum is thankless and unfun. I would submit, however, that your job would be rendered easier if you lightened up your trigger on banning. Maybe the forum rules need to be tweaked a bit to accommodate it, but it seems to me that in many users' (mostly guests') cases it would be easier to ban them, for long periods of time or permanently, than to field reports and PMs from those whom they upset.
Shrike,

FWIW, I agree completely, but what I meant to say earlier was that we mods don't have banning power. We have to take it up with site administrators to get it done.

Normally, if the cause is spamming or monstrous breach of rules the site admins get it done quickly. However, other borderline cases are not clear cut and mods have no authority.

Makes the "job" kind of frustrating.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tyraid2K,Jan 18 2007, 10:41 AM
it's why I don't socialize here, I just use it for technical questions and know-how
This makes me sad, by the way. Half the fun of being here is socializing (although most of us take it to the local forums)...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

with Chaz and Triple-H

Quick Reply: Behavior in S2000 Talk