S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Berk TP and HKS. Recently installed...

Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berk TP and HKS. Recently installed...

Just put on a Berk TP this past weekend to compliment my existing HKS Hi-Power dual.

The install was a cinch. The only problem was getting the factory cat heat shield bolts off. They were so rusted that half of them sheared off and left bolt heads jammed in the socket. It was a PITA trying to get the rusted heads out of there.

I haven't needed a non-fouler kit as of yet. I've put around 300 miles on her since the install. I do have a maintenence required light that is constantly on, but thats for an oil change. (I think). I'm pretty sure the light that comes on when the ECU detects an O2 sensor problem is the CEL and not the MRL.

I have mixed feelings about the test pipe though. Usually, if I am not immediately sold on something, I does not tend to grow on me. I think this is the case with the TP. It sounds really good, but its quite a bit louder than before. The HKS drone is more high pitched now but its louder as well. The smell as you pull up to a stop light isn't exactly pretty. Its like sticking your face right behind the exhaust of a car with a cat. Just not "good". It most definitely makes the car sound more "ricey". The fact that everyone else on the road can tell me what percentage my throttle is open by the sound of my exhaust is NOT was I was looking for.

There are positives, though. When you really get on it, it does sound pretty sweet. It did before, but now its a lot more aggressive. There is a very noticeable increase in mid-range power, particularly in the range where the low-lift cam is running out of steam. The barking on throttle blips for downshifts is pure ecstasy. It sounds sooo good.

One downside that I encountered... When I was under the car, I looked back and inspected the HKS piping to make sure everything was still Kosher. Sure enough, the Y-pipe (with resonator) showed a few signs of rust. Wonderful. I hear that HKS is now making the exhaust completely from stainless. Maybe I can piece together a new exhaust section by section as each rusts out.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:03 AM
vbb

Yes, the MRL is due to some other issue... probably your lack of resetting the light after an oil change. You'll get a CEL for having no catalytic converter.

The test pipe is one of those mods that I know adds some power, but I'm just PERSONALLY not willing to put up with the downsides, many of which you mentioned. The drone, the smell, and of course the fact that it is illegal (although there is an outside chance you'll get popped for one) are all why I don't plan on getting one for myself.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 AM

I'll give it a month. If I don't warm up to it, I'm putting the cat back on. The main reason I installed the test pipe was to get the most out of my next stage of upgrades. I wonder what kind of power hit I will take with the BRP kit if I put the cat back on.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good plus/minus review. Thanks for posting such an honest assessment. I'll take
the barking sound on downshifts with the rest of it, please.

Cal
Old 05-16-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should read "without the rest of it.

Cal
Old 05-16-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't needed a non-fouler kit as of yet.
The Berk design incorporates a "non-fouler" built right in. Unfortunately, this is not effective in 100% of the cases as seen reported by owners on this board.

You'll get a CEL for having no catalytic converter.
The whole idea of the Berk is that is has a built in mechanical O2 simulator. (See my previous remark.)
Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 16 2006, 09:51 AM
The Berk design incorporates a "non-fouler" built right in. Unfortunately, this is not effective in 100% of the cases as seen reported by owners on this board.

The whole idea of the Berk is that is has a built in mechanical O2 simulator. (See my previous remark.)
I'm aware of the Berk test pipe O2 simulator not functioning in all scenarios. We'll see how long it works for mine.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 AM

good review. at least you were honest to report the negatives alongside the positives.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:11 AM

I've had the experience of driving behind a S2000 with a cat removed and can honestly say it stinks. I'm all for modding as long as the car does not emit additional pollutants. This is one mod which s/b left at the track.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

eh driving behind a catless s2k isn't very bad at all, after all we only a 4 banger. You should drive behind a catless v8 engine, now THAT smells

Quick Reply: Berk TP and HKS. Recently installed...