S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Besides comptech & ground control, other options?

Old 06-27-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

right the fact that they both have disc brakes, A-arms, and vtec make them identical. You need to do some more research and learn about all the engineering that went into the design of the S2K. There is nothing like it.. especially no civic or integra.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Jo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S,Jun 27 2006, 09:24 AM
You pay to play. Don't cheap out on parts.
pay to play what? As stated before, I don't track this car, have no interest to. I'm lowering purely for looks on my drive to and from work everyday. I would have gotten springs already and been done with it but i'd like an option as far as raising the car in the winter when PA gets slammed with snow and the roads get covered with gravel.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:37 AM

You pay to play as in buying parts for a sports car is going to be more than a grocery getter. What don't you understand? Sure, you can lower your car purely for looks, but you will be swapping out the shocks when they blow and then you'll have to buy new ones anyway. That's double the labor. If you're fine with it, then ok, whatever. We're just giving you advice, since you're asking. Plus, your ride is going to be horrible, since the shocks are not made to work with aftermarket springs. Not to mention the handling is going to be crappier than stock.

But do what you want. I really don't care.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vtec9, give me some specifics.

LSD? Same one as the Integra R.
Vtec? Same as the Integra R and the Jap K20.
Timing chain?
Oil cooler? Same design as the Integra R.
9K RPM red line? My B18C5 fuel cuts at 8600 RPM and will do 9K safely.

At best the "in wheel" suspension's pretty unique but, the basic suspension designs not that different than other high performance honda's. I'll give you also that the unspring weight of the S2000's probably better than a Civic/Integra because of the smaller spindle size.

What engineering magic is there that's unique to the S2000. If you say the top mechanism, I'll agree to that.

The S2000 is a natural extension which bridges the gap between the Integra/Civic R (old an RSX derived new on in Japan) and the NSX. There is no "Acura" in Japan so, The Integra, Civic, NSX and S2000 are all "Honda's" in their native land.

So, what's so special about the S2000 that makes it better than it's brother honda's?

As for learning about the S2000. I've been studying the shop manual lately since I just bought one (S2K that is). Looks just about like any other honda shop manual, the way the fuel injection and other emissions parts work is identical to other honda's.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

By your definition, sharing the designs from other cars makes it the same, then I guess it is just a Miata too. Since we share the design on the rearends. Also using the same logic, since it has 4 wheels like every other car, and they share the design, that makes it the same too.

What makes it special, it the complete package.
  • The transmission design was designed for the S2000 and does not exist anyplace else.
  • 51/49 weight ratio
  • 10 second drop top. Fastest top when it was released.
  • Perfectly tuned from the factory. You will find it very hard to squeeze anything out of it, without dropping a ton of cash.
  • 240hp from 2.0L N/A. Nothing else has ever done that before.
So if you think it is just a rear wheel drive Civic, you are sadly mistaken. It is not elitist, it is just a fact. Also the car was designed to drive corners fast (road racing). Not in a straight fast (drag racing).

Now lets be realistic, Honda did not design the car without using what worked in other cars. They did however modify the designs to suit the needs of this car, and what they wanted it to do. So system may be exactly the same, and others may be related. Hell Honda sells 2 oil filters, one for the S2000 and another for all others. Why? Becasue it is the same?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

just a few things that went into the S2k which make it different..

X-bone frame which gives extreme chassis rigidity with low weight.. less flex than any civic. Forged engine internals. Shocks with external reservoirs. one off tranny w/ direct linkage. aluminum body parts. hids
Old 06-28-2006, 07:33 AM

Don't worry about that kid, guys. He's some teen that's proud of his EJ Civic. I'd love to get one, as well, for a track car. My friend's EG tears it up and with minimal upkeep costs.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I like my EJ. Like the '2K I picked up yesterday too. Looks like I'm tracking the Ek/Ej for the rest of this year though. I've taken the civic to the point it's too "track ready". It's just not that fun on the streets any more. It was alot cheaper to make an EK faster and handle better than an S2k than buy a '2k but, you have to sacrifice any kind of creature comforts. Thus, the purchase of the '2k.

I've been studying S2K's for the past couple months to the point where I'd feel comfortable changing a clutch or cam chain tensioner or maybe even the oil jet bolts. The beauty of the S2k is it feels and performs like an M3 convertible but, is as easy to work on as any other honda. I did the engine swap on the civic so, it's all old hat. Thus, "it's just a honda".

Initial mods of course are BSK kit, because this MY02 is damn squirly and a decent set of tires and brake pads (XP10's). Contemplating replacing all the wheel bearings and installing extended studs.

Kind of sad to park the Civic out in the rain yesterday to make room for my new toy. I'm going to take a bath if I sell it. The cage alone was $2200.