S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best and cheapest options to increase performance

Old 03-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best and cheapest options to increase performance

What are the best and cheapest changes people have made that resulted in significant improvements in power or handling?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:15 PM

I.M.O. cheapest H.P.= nitrous, best for everyday driving and reliability = supercharger. Handling= crossbrace(cheapest) then you cound always go for bigger stickier rubber and suspension. It's mostly a question of how much you wanna spend and what your goals are. Do you wanna drag race, autocross, show car , street car with muscle? Be a little more specific in what you are looking for and you'll get better responses.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:59 PM

VTEC Stickers!!!! Instant 5 hp. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it is a question of how lazy you are. The "search" button will show you 15000 threads that contain the 150000 responses to this very same question.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ayelien
What are the best and cheapest changes people have made that resulted in significant improvements in power or handling?
Flux capacitor catback - here's an example:

Old 03-12-2004, 03:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think Road Rage knows what he's talking about, my flux capaciter is mounted in front of the cat on the header pipe for increased thermal efficiency ... .

The BEST and least expensive (in the long run) way to improve any aspect of automobile performance is to invest the money in learning how to drive better. I'm not kidding. Any performance driving school will allow YOU to extract much better handling out of the car. Don't believe me? Go to any autocross or Performance Driver's Education day at the track. You drive your car around and then ask ANY instructor to take your car for a run. I predict that you'll be VERY surprised at how much you suck as a driver.

This is equally, though less significantly true at the drag strip, but I don't recommend that kind of use for an S 2000.

Learn how to use the power and handling capabilities that you have BEFORE spending money on modifications. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck that way.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:56 AM

Good stuff!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:57 AM

I second CoralDoc's sentiments. Before you go looking for ways to extract more horsepower or handling from the car, learn how to properly utilize what it already has. Way too many people here write about how the car "just started spinning on me when I hit VTEC coming around that corner in 1st gear." Learn to drive it first.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:11 AM

I third Coral Doc's advice! My older brother (Nole 99) is addicted lately to autocross and road courses and we have drag raced a lot in the past. He wears out his tires pretty quick but he is a vastly improved driver pushing the S2000 to limits I didn't know it had.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:17 AM

I agree. Assuming you already have the tools there is no substitute for experience!!!!!!!!!!!!! The S is a great potential tool. I'm curious on the best simplest ways people have made it better.

:

Quick Reply: Best and cheapest options to increase performance