S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best U/V Clear coat?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best U/V Clear coat?

Does anyone know of a good automotive clear coat with the best u/v protection? Im getting near completion of my project and i definately need a strong clear with lots of u/v protection. I was thinking maybe a house of kolors clear

does anyone know of a better one?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HankookS2K,Jul 7 2008, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know of a good automotive clear coat with the best u/v protection? Im getting near completion of my project and i definately need a strong clear with lots of u/v protection. I was thinking maybe a house of kolors clear

does anyone know of a better one?
the better question is what basecoat you are shooting with, for example you will not shoot the a dupont basecoat with a hok/ppg base because they don't bond well.

HOK, sherwin, PPG, basf, tristar, spi all make excellent *TOP OF THE LINE product, by top of the line i mean buy their expensive clear and they are all excellent. I shoot mostly ppg(and some dupont), you can def tell the quality difference if you pay for the mid range stuff(deltron) vs the cheap stuff(omni).

so ask your painter what he/she does best and get the top of the line CC from that brand, it will not be cheap, in fact you can easily double the cost with better material.
(but again, there's no point of using a showcar material for a street daily, if you get what i am saying)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=iam7head,Jul 7 2008, 12:16 PM] the better question is what basecoat you are shooting with, for example you will not shoot the a dupont basecoat with a hok/ppg base because they don't bond well.

HOK, sherwin, PPG, basf, tristar, spi all make excellent *TOP OF THE LINE product, by top of the line i mean buy their expensive clear and they are all excellent.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by HankookS2K,Jul 7 2008, 11:46 AM
im not shooting a basecoat that is why im just looking for the best clear there is. what i mean by best is i need one with a LOT of U/V protection. Ill be shooting over carbon fiber, so its directly onto an epoxy resin which has no u/v whatsoever.

I have been told to go with dupont or ppg too, is HOK a pretty high end product?

this is gonna be my daily, but unforutnately i can not cheap out on the clear coat, because if i do, there goes the carbon fiber

so since the basecoat is out of the question which one would you say would provide the best u/v?

also im looking at some clears online, what is the diff between 1.9VOC and 3.5 VOC?
i see, in that case, you need to have the dude preping the car sand the surface lightly to get the best adhesion.

like i said, SPI, dupont, ppg, HOK, sherwin all make exceptionally good clear, just get the upper line of the clear and you'll be in good shape. they all make a low/cheap clear which you should mos def avoid.

i personally shoot ppg alot(and some dupont), to be honest all the high end product will be great/overkill.

did the cf piece you have already have a gelcoat?(and a quality one?)
Old 07-07-2008, 03:49 PM

the VOC is the california regulation, think of it as emission number for paint.

They just upped the VOS requirement for paint not too long ago, er...r..
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM

if i am not mistaken PPG and HOK paint system can be mixed/used togehter

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...ct%20lines.htm
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=iam7head,Jul 7 2008, 04:47 PM] i see, in that case, you need to have the dude preping the car sand the surface lightly to get the best adhesion.

like i said, SPI, dupont, ppg, HOK, sherwin all make exceptionally good clear, just get the upper line of the clear and you'll be in good shape.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stick to the stuff that's easy to get, Dupont, PPG, BASF. They are all fine.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM

have you guys heard of a clear coat called lesonal? I went to my local paint supply store and they had a clear called Lesonal and said it was their top of the line better than HOK or PPG.

they told me the lesonal was a product made by sikkens. is sikkens good?