S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Better Power/Weight Ratio than NSX.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NSX with 290 hp and 3153 lbs has less hp/lb than the S2000 I have at 240 hp and 2554 lbs.

At first, I thought the scales at the alignment shop might be off, but after hearing what other S2000s have had at the same shop, and getting essentially the same weight on two separate occasions, I am inclined to believe the weight.

I have saved weight with Pinnacle Brake System, Mugen header, Spoon exhaust, 12.5lb Odyssey battery, no passenger seat, Mugen driver seat, no spare tire, no tools, Mugen hood, Mugen coilovers, Spoon wheels (now CE28Ns), etc.

I did not use helium in the tires!

I am having a lot of fun with this car. With its lighter weight, Mugen ECU and other bolt on mods, this car can be competitive on the track with other higher hp vehicles. It is a good platform for me to learn to drive better.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:51 AM

Mine weighed in around 2830 with the turbo..
Old 05-31-2002, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by Prolene

Do people ever really do that
Old 05-31-2002, 06:02 AM

Valid point regarding hp->weight ratios and such, but not to burst any bubbles here, but the average NSX (unmodified) will take an S just about any day of the week on the track... even with the 90-some pounds you saved by stripping your car. I love my S, but a few drives in an NSX will easily convince you that our S is still the younger brother... Nevertheless, I completely agree with your sentiments that the S "is a good platform for me to learn to drive better."
Old 05-31-2002, 06:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ricklobo
[B]Valid point regarding hp->weight ratios and such, but not to burst any bubbles here, but the average NSX (unmodified) will take an S just about any day of the week on the track...
Old 05-31-2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Elistan

In short, given equal drivers, I would expect the S2000 in question to be significantly faster than a stock NSX.

I also think this would be the case. Take an NSX, however, and put lightweight wheels, do other lightening 'exercises', and it is again another matter. But compare with an off the showroom NSX, properly broken-in, I'll take my S2000 for the track instead.

Also, rotation of the wheels, rotors would make weight reduction of those pieces even more significant for performance.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B]The NSX with 290 hp and 3153 lbs has less hp/lb than the S2000 I have at 240 hp and 2554 lbs.

At first, I thought the scales at the alignment shop might be off, but after hearing what other S2000s have had at the same shop, and getting essentially the same weight on two separate occasions, I am inclined to believe the weight.

I have saved weight with Pinnacle Brake System, Mugen header, Spoon exhaust, 12.5lb Odyssey battery, no passenger seat, Mugen driver seat, no spare tire, no tools, Mugen hood, Mugen coilovers, Spoon wheels (now CE28Ns), etc.

I am having a lot of fun with this car.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:02 AM

BTW...1KG in weight is MORE than 1lb! 100kg's=220.462lb's.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:05 AM

His car has a better power to weight ratio so it will accelerated better, is 600 pounds lighter so it will corner better, and has some nifty suspension pieces so it should be more stable. In short, given equal drivers, I would expect the S2000 in question to be significantly faster than a stock NSX.

Again, I respect your position on this... but the S... even on a major diet... cannot equal the stock performance of a '95 + NSX. This particular S is still NA, and while shedding weight is important, nothing was done to actually significantly improve low-end performance... minus some bolt-ons. And while the NSX was never king of low-end torque, it is still heads and shoulders above the S. This is a problem coming out of any turn where you have to dig in deep in a gear and run up through the turn. The NSX will come out faster everytime... not even considering it's superior handling out of the box. I encourage you to hunt down someone with an NSX and test it out for yourself. I spent a year going back and forth between purchasing an S and a used NSX. During that time, I was fortunate enough to drive many an NSX and get enough seat experience to make this opinion. The delta between the 2, stock, was too great to remedy even with shedding some weight.

As an fyi, you might want to try and dig up a really good article in Car and Driver about a year ago about their experience tracking an S that they had. It was a great read, and I recall that despite serious weight reduction, results were not in par with the math.

If only I could drop by my local dealership and drop $90+ for one and we could test for real...
Old 05-31-2002, 07:08 AM

Across the relevant RPM band, the NSX has more area under the curve.

Stan

Quick Reply: Better Power/Weight Ratio than NSX.