S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bucket seats

Old 08-09-2001, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bucket seats

I
Old 08-09-2001, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, you're a big guy and I don't think that most racing seats would be comfortable for you. That includes the Mugen seat. I am getting the Mugen seat tomorrow, but I'm almost 100 pounds lighter than you...it's perfect for me. In Tokyo, Ginsberg tried to get his rump into the Mugen car/seat and he couldn't slide all the way and almost got stuck!

I think what you may end up doing is looking for a seat that is made to be a little wider, for the larger man, as it were. I'm sure that seat companies like Sparco, Tenzo, or any other the others carry a line that accomodates your needs. Unfortunately, I think the Mugen seat isn't going to work for you and they don't have a wide range of seats like other seat companies have.

Perhaps someone has suggestions for places to look. Poke around in the Internet for Momo, Sparco, Recaro, etc...

HTH!
Old 08-09-2001, 10:49 AM

Thanks; I've been snooping around the websites of some of your suggestions. My only concern with most of them is that none have a seat specifically (tested) for the s2000. As you well know there isn't much room inside the car to play around with and I'm worried that the seats might not fit between the door and the console.

I'll check into them nonetheless, and let all of you know what I find.

Thanks again

J
Old 08-09-2001, 10:54 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

I can guarantee the Mugen seat won't work for you. I'm 6'1" 205 and I can't fit in the Mugen seat (I tried!). Someone else has a thread going for racing seats for bigger dudes like us. Sparco was mentioned, I believe.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:56 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Oh - the reason I don't "fit" is as you suspected, hip room. Unless you have a very small waist/hip deal going (all shoulders), you're out of luck.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:04 AM
S2R

Greg, my S1 seat came on the same shipment as yours. I can't wait to get mine next week.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:05 AM

I'm 6'2" and 220lbs and I have the same problem with the wheel. Mostly it is an issue for heel toe downshifting.

What has worked very well for me is buying driving shoes with a very low profile and thin heel. It can make a huge difference.

If you are curious if this will help try driving your car barefooted, it will give you a good idea of what a thin pair of shoes can do for you(though it isn't a reccomended method for general driving).

Hugh
Old 08-09-2001, 11:05 AM

Sorry, I'm no Ken doll, but no pear either. 38 waist, 50 shoulders, and 33-34 inseam on pants (to give you all some references).

J
Old 08-09-2001, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2R... Pictures after the trip to the Spa tomorrow!

J, definitely check out the Sparco line. They are certain to have something. Harry Cash (hecash) is getting the Tenzo seat and rails, for about 600 bucks, made specifically for the S2000. You should check them out, as well...

I'm sure your research will prove valuable to many bigger folks here...be sure to post what you find/do!

Old 08-09-2001, 11:09 AM

Hugh, yeah I think driving shoes will help, although I don't have that much difficulty heel toeing. My concern there is that the brake is a little far from the gas from me to absolutely stomp on the brake and blip the throttle (especially when you braking hard and are behind someone on track). Maybe new pedals will help me there.

Thanks anyway.

J

Quick Reply: Bucket seats