S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buy my 05 lease, or go for a new 08?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Lease an MY08
Old 06-07-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audiophile,Jun 7 2008, 07:35 AM
Buying new cars doesn't work that way, your best deal will be negotiated using a finance company through the dealership. Dealerships get commissions selling you financing, even if you plan on paying cash, finance and then pay off the loan when you get the first bill. That said, there is absolutely no reason to pay a penny over invoice for any Honda in production, so there is very little room to get a better deal, a few hundred dollars below invoice is realistically the best you can do purchasing an 08.
it works sometimes... but then they charge more somewhere else. everything has to offset, they always have to make money somehow. but at least you'll feel better about yourself if you get the car at a low price
Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shotiable,Jun 7 2008, 07:46 AM
it works sometimes... but then they charge more somewhere else. everything has to offset, they always have to make money somehow. but at least you'll feel better about yourself if you get the car at a low price
Charge more someplace else? You've lost me, the bottom line is the bottom line, if they add something you don't agree to, either don't pay it or walk away. I've bought over 20 new vehicles in the last 10 years, there is no trick to negotiating a deal, no secret formula, use common sense and don't let the dealership pressure you period. We're talking about a Honda, not a hard to find exotic, there are plenty of dealers and probably a surplus of cars, the power is in the purchasers hands.

Agreed, there is satisfaction in knowing you've received a good deal.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by SDSILVERM3,Jun 7 2008, 12:04 AM
Dropping $20k all at once on an asset that makes you no money is a huge setback. Use the Honda Financial money at 2.9% and finance it instead. Why use your own capital when you can use theirs for almost free?

For all the money you'll have spent (monthly payments to date + $20k) all you're getting is a 3 year old car w/ 30,000 miles and no warrenty.

Finance it at 1-3% you put yourself in a new car with peace of mind should something go wrong. IMHO when you lease a car, stick with that decision and when the lease is done be done with the car. Besides you can start a whole new chapter in your life with the S2000 - change colors, options, etc.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice guys, you are definitely swaying me into a new one. There may be an 08 Laguna Blue S2K in my garage by next weekend!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 PM

I'm in the same boat as you with an '05 leased. The only difference is my only has 9500 miles. Eventhough I like a white 08 with red interior, I think i'm buying my '05 Berlina.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:33 PM

I'd buy the 05 straight up if you have the cash set aside to do it (which it sounds like you do and you were originally planning to do)... I really hate my car payment a lot and cannot wait to pay it off. I'm actually paying pretty much double what the amount is every month at this piont so it'll be gone as quick as possible (and I'll wind up paying less that way since its a simple loan).
Old 06-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was in the same dilemma as you. i was considering buying an 05 with 23xxx miles VS a brand new 08. my father convinced me to get an 08 because it was brand new. so id say if you can do it, go for the 08!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audiophile,Jun 7 2008, 12:47 PM
Charge more someplace else? You've lost me, the bottom line is the bottom line, if they add something you don't agree to, either don't pay it or walk away. I've bought over 20 new vehicles in the last 10 years, there is no trick to negotiating a deal, no secret formula, use common sense and don't let the dealership pressure you period. We're talking about a Honda, not a hard to find exotic, there are plenty of dealers and probably a surplus of cars, the power is in the purchasers hands.

Agreed, there is satisfaction in knowing you've received a good deal.
I agree. Although I haven't been purchasing cars for as long as you have, in my most recent experience getting my '08, I contacted pretty much all of the Honda dealers in the state clearly telling them that I had cash in hand to buy it outright and none of them would give me a better price than they originally offered. In fact, about a 1/3 of them tried pushing their financing on me.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 AM

I am in the same boat and opted to finance mine off the lease, the interest rate on used cars is just above 4%. I have modified mine and there is nothing that the new model offers that I would want.

Quick Reply: Buy my 05 lease, or go for a new 08?