S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buy in NJ, or SoCal?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy in NJ, or SoCal?

So I'm now 95% I'll be attending college in SoCal, and I want an s2000. Ideally, I'd like an AP1 I can try and track on the weekends.

Here's the question:

Do I sell my GLI now and get the s2000 for the NJ summer? Then roadtrip to SoCal?

Or do I sell my GLI at the end of the summer, and get my s2000 in SoCal?

Pros and cons of both?

e39m5
Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 AM

usually the question would just be up to you..

but since you ask..
the only thing i could think of is that the prices might be a bit lower at the end of summer..
and before summer they will be a bit higher
Old 03-13-2009, 07:38 AM

IMO an s2k would be a great car for a cross country road trip...as long as you don't mind road noise, a hard ride and no cargo space.

But I've always thought that are more expensive in socal compared to other states. Whenever I'm searching for a new car I always see better deals on the east coast.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I've heard the same thing about prices jumping a bit when the sun is out. Keep an eye out for that, but if you're set on an S2 ('grats!) then that probably won't make a crazy noticeable difference.

Personally, if I had the opportunity to road trip in an S2 shortly after purchase I'd go for it. In the best of cases, it'd be a great bonding experience. In the worst of cases, you'll probably find out if there's anything mechanically wrong with it fairly quickly.

That said, a NJ -> SoCal road trip is a long time to spend in such a small car, so make sure you've got enough time to make tons of stops along the way stretch/relax/etc.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:47 AM

SoCal... for a couple of reasons.. a California-owned car normally wouldn't have seen salt and snow... whereas you can't say the same for NJ. Also, unless you plan to transition to college with a weeks worth of clothes and nothing else... the S2k is a shitty car to move locations with.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 AM

There's no way I could of fit half the stuff I brought with me to college in the S. If you plan on removing the passenger seat then get it now.

Prices, I agree prices on east cost are a little cheaper. At least they were when I bought my S. I bought mine from NJ and had it shipped to my door in IL ans saved a few K.

But it is all about supply and demand. Demand is up in spring and down in late fall or winter in NJ.

The weather is always good for an S in So Cal so your not helping yourself there by waiting either.

Its a tough call. I would figure out exactly what color, year and mileage you want and start looking for it now. If you find one and the price is right get it now. If not wait until your in SoCal and I'm sure you'll find it soon enough.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM

figure out EXACTLY what you want... do your research, and the right one will come up when the time's right
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Speaking from experience, commuting to college in a 2 seater with all my stuff was miserable. Granted it was a CRX (many moons ago) and it held more than my S does, but I was quick to trade in my CRX in college for an Accord, just for the drives.

My .02, because you asked, keep the GLI, use your car spending money on college life (it gets pricey), come out of school with a great job, and then buy the S. Trust me on this one too, you won't use a car much in college except to get home or spring break. Weekend track events? You'll find you have little time for that because of studying and the big social life of college.

The 4 years will fly by, then you can buy an 'S' and easily afford all track activities.

Good Luck on your decison, and with college!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah if you are moving all your things with you then its going to be a nightmare with the S2K. But if you get your stuff out there some other way then a cross country trip in the S2k would be an awesome experience!!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i drove from boston to la in my s2000 and it was freaking awesome.

however, i think you'll have more selection and higher quality used s2000's in los angeles