S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying a s2000

Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted an S2000 ever since 2001 when I first heard of them. I have been saving money for a car ever since then. I'm now 22, and I just got my S2000. Having been through several beaters since then, I would say save you money until you can find one in great condition to pay off completely. I know it sucks, but trust me - it will be worth it in the end.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz,Mar 4 2010, 07:46 PM
You have NO JOB!! You have no business getting a car that you will have to make payments on!! Obama would smack the sh!t out of you!! My generation had no concept of money or debt and look at the mess we are in now, but we would have never imagined doing what you are suggesting (well most of us atleast). If every 16 year old thinks like you, I am afraid of what things will be 12 years from now.

On top of your money issue, the amount of immaturity exhibited by even suggesting such a poor decision tells me that you in no way need a car like the S2k or even any of the others you listed. You will get tickets, will ruin you insurance and your parents, and will likely wreck, all before you are 18.

My suggestion pay cash for a 3-5K civic and throw the rest of the money in the bank for emergencies/repairs. This is the perfect car for a new driver and will teach you maturity and values.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I hate to be the one to say it, but... you're 16. Did you ask mommy and daddy what they think yet? I can't imagine they think it's a good idea.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Idk how old some of the people on here are but I'm 19 and I've this itch in my ass to buy a S2000 for so damn long now. I could definetly go out and borrow money and buy the car, but from what I've learned on this forum specifically is that this car isnt a good choice if you can't afford it ( I guess that applies to any car, but bare/bear with me). After you get it, you have to consider gas, tires, maintenance..etc. You're 16, you don't have much experience (im guessing), this car is a bit much for you if you can't handle it, you could seriously hurt yourself and/or others. Without a steady flow of income you probably don't want to get yourself into something like this. At your age, you probably don't want a car payment either. Save your money, buy something for 5-7k, beat around in it (no homo) for a few years, save up your pennies and buy the car later in life when you can REALLY afford it.

On a lighter note, you're probably a smart kid, you came on here looking for advice. Not many kids now a days do that. I have respect for you for putting away 7k at your age, thats pretty impressive too. Keep working hard, take advice from people who have been through it or know about it, it'll work out for the best.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 PM

when i read that you had 7000 i thought u might be working to save up maybe 10k and buy a high mile 00/01 for like 8-9000$..actually even that is a terrible idea.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM

thanks for all the advice. and for everyone that says i am immature i disagree because i just wanted to come here and get everyones advice before i go through with it because i wouldnt want to screw up my credit or my farthers since he would be the co-signer so just being more careful than immature but everyone does have their own way of seeing things.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, you're 16, and thinking of getting an s2k as a first car? I hate to break it to you, but your insurance is going to be WAAY too expensive. Also, you're in new england, with lots of snow.. what the heck are you thinking?

At the age of 16, you need to drive whatever you can get, and learn how to drive first. Like others said, I applaud you for saving up that money at your age, but buying a "cool car" at a young age shows your maturity. You can't afford it (or the insurance).

Also, I have a very hard time believing you found an '06 w/ low miles for $15k. It must've been flooded, wrecked, and repaired to be going for that price. That price most certainly sounds too good to be true (I should know, I've been looking for one).
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Spend $2000 on a beater Civic or Accord and get yourself out of high school. Almost EVERYONE crashes at least once before they turn 20, even the "good" drivers.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by armenians2k,Mar 4 2010, 09:53 PM
and for everyone that says i am immature i disagree because i just wanted to come here and get everyones advice before i go through with it because i wouldnt want to screw up my credit or my farthers since he would be the co-signer so just being more careful than immature but everyone does have their own way of seeing things.
No periods = not mature.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM

lol iam not saying that iam a good driver was the best driver that has gone to my driving school though (at least my instructor told me that ). but no cars have always been the biggest part of my life for as long as i can remeber. i wanted a eg and eventually swap it wth a k20. but i thought about it and was like if iam gonna spend that much money on everything why not just buy something that will be a good car that will last me a good 5 years or so. plus my parents love the idea of me getting a s2000 and dont want me to get a beater or something they think is unsafe or they wont help with the insurance.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by armenians2k,Mar 4 2010, 08:14 PM
lol iam not saying that iam a good driver was the best driver that has gone to my driving school though (at least my instructor told me that ). but no cars have always been the biggest part of my life for as long as i can remeber. i wanted a eg and eventually swap it wth a k20. but i thought about it and was like if iam gonna spend that much money on everything why not just buy something that will be a good car that will last me a good 5 years or so. plus my parents love the idea of me getting a s2000 and dont want me to get a beater or something they think is unsafe or they wont help with the insurance.
If your parents think getting a RWD sports car as your first car is "safe"...they probably aren't that familiar with it.

Also, they're saying they'll help with the insurance...have you even checked to see if you're insurable in that car? Or what the rates are?

Quick Reply: buying a s2000