S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying a used AP1 - Paint Question

Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used AP1 - Paint Question

Hello,

Recently I've decided I need an S2000 in my life. I plan on purchasing an AP1 within a few weeks, after my current Audi is sold. I don't consider myself too picky on colors, but decided I'd probably only be happy with an AP1 in either white, black or yellow.

I'm wondering what your experience is with paint color vs. it's quality. I've heard around the way the black is really susceptible to scratches over the other colors, and I really don't want to narrow myself down to two colors, especially since white is slightly more difficult to find.

Anyways, any serious insight would really be helpful. I'm a fan of black, but I really don't want to find out the paint is as bad as my friends Mazdaspeed MX5, especially coming from an Audi with its top notch paint quality.

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Former Moderator

The s2000 paint is pretty brittle. If you buying an ap1 it will be depending on how well the previous owner maintained it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:53 AM

considering the newest AP1 you'll find is going to be atleast five years old, I'm guessing the paint will have faded a bit.

when i was shopping around for my S, I wanted white, but they only came with the tan interior for the 04's. I wanted new.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 AM

Out of the three colors I've listed though (black, white, yellow) - is there any difference in quality?

IE the black is poor compared to the others
Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 AM

i dont think the paint quality (berlina is fine) is what you should be looking for , it should be the condition the car was kept in (paint, ext. , etc.) as long as you find a good condition one paint will be likewise on all 3 colors
Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 AM

I realize that, I'm just making sure. Bad reference, but remember seeing those purple Neons in the late 90s? Remember how bad the paint peeled on those compared to the other colors? Just making sure I don't grab a certain color and regret it later! I read the FAQs and the rest of the site, and that was pretty much my only question..
Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 AM
mlc

I dont think that the black scratches more easily. It is just more noticable on black. If this is going to be your DD black is tough. I have black by mine is a garage queen.

I would agree with what has been said. I would worry more about the condition of the car mechanically and then consider the color.

With all of that said black is by far the fastest and best looking.

mlc
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed...if the S is your DD, then black is not for you, if you worry about the exterior.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as quality goes, the paint for the S is pretty bad(all colors). They chip, scratch, etc. pretty easily. Now it is even worse if you find one that hasn't been maintained. Basically, there is no difference in quality for all the colors, but there are colors where you have to maintain more if you want the clean look(black/white for example). Good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mond, although I love Spa, it is a major PITA to repaint or color match because of it being a 3-step color process. If paint and finish are major concerns, Spa Yellow might not be the right choice for you.

And don't get Berlina, good grief, the Berloina ate all the car's details and it looks lame.

Quick Reply: Buying a used AP1 - Paint Question