S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A/C doesn't seem to be cold :(

Old 07-11-2002, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C doesn't seem to be cold :(

Been really hot here lately in Edmonton Canada, 30+C. So i have been driving with top up and A/C. Unfortunately the A/C doesn't seem to be cold. When I hold my hand up to the vents, it's just cool-cold, NOT cold-cold.

Anyone knows of any trouble shooting tips???????

Car is at 5500 kms.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:10 AM

Try recirculating from the cabin as opposed to fresh air from outside the car. The already cooled air is easier to make colder than the hot air from outside.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:51 AM

I've noticed the compressor in the car tends to not run as much in other cars. Seems like it is shutting off when accelerating. Usually i don't notice it starting to get cold without being in a high gear (5th or 6th) and constant driving.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:13 AM

This has come up in earlier threads. The A/C compressor in this vehicle seems to cycle quite a bit, and you will get periods of 30 - 60 seconds when the air feels just a bit cool, and then it will revert to being fairly cold for a minute or two. Here in South Carolina, with temps in the 90's, the A/C can maintain comfortable conditions on a fairly high fan speed under the hottest and sunniest conditions. However, if you want to cool down the interior in a reasonable time period, you often must go to the recirculate mode - the difference is quite dramatic. I have not noticed that the air quality inside the car suffers in the recirculate mode, so I would guess there is at least some modest amount of exterior air mixed in.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:20 AM

Honda has never made a very good A/C system.....Every one I've had, and many more that I know seem to be extremely weak. I guess it doesn't get that warm in Japan.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:32 AM

On really hot days here in Atlanta, I run the A/C with the recirculation on and the fan set on the third light. That keeps everything very cool. I've even had to back down on the temperature control sometimes.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something silly that bit me once, and only once, on the A/C not being cold: make sure the temperature control is rotated fully counter clock-wise.

Not that this would happen to anyone else, but it did cause some consternation with me once. Kinda like having inadvertantly hit the window lock and wondering why the passenger window wouldn't go down.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:20 AM

Runs plenty cold here in hot and humid Florida. Temp control is always set at COLD, and recirculate button enabled.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:13 AM

Mine puts out some mighty cold air and it's not even on recirculate. I'll start it on 2 lights and put it back to 1 after it's cooled down.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:25 AM

The temp of the air coming out of the A/C vents is always going to be a relative temp compared to the outside air, which is to say, the warmer the outside air is, the warmer the cooled air coming from the A/C will be.

As long as the A/C output feels cool it means there's probably nothing wrong. When you start feeling it pump out air that doesn't feel cool at all, then you have a problem and probably need the system recharged.

Quick Reply: A/C doesn't seem to be cold :(