S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can dealer deny warranty

Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 PM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While Honda may advertise the S2000 as a track car, the warranty if for those people who never modify the car and never go to the track.... not the racing enthusiasts.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Malakas,Jan 17 2006, 04:49 PM
Yep that's pretty much it. I thought for a minute it was an exhaust leak.

Dealer just said they hear it, but don't know what it is, and that everything checks out. Having them change my oil - hope it goes away. I searched and searched the forum, and there seems to be many thread talking about a "tapping" at 3K... that goes away with an oil change...

so we'll see....
Can you hear it while idling? How about applying the throttle (revving) in neutral?

Its driving me nuts. I can't imagine its something "bad" with 5,000 miles if no one can hear it but me, but its still driving me crazy.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Jan 17 2006, 01:25 PM
It almost sounds like a baseball card in the spoke of a kids bike.
Hmm... I thought someone would've jumped in by now suggesting timing chain tensioner?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:07 PM

I've found the same noise before and it did go away with changing the oil. It usually only comes around when I am nearing an oil change or have been VTECing alot. If it was the auto-tensioner it would be a constant motorboat-type sound, regardless of oil level.

I knew the tensioner on my 5th Gen Prelude is known to go bad (I had to have mine done), but I have not heard of the tensioner being an issue on the S. What year is your car?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by r_duff,Jan 17 2006, 01:03 PM
i heard about that. mitsu was doing it too with the evo, right? thats ghey
yes they did, i think it kinda crap especially for something like the evo which is a track car.

And to op, How much autox have u already done if u haven't ever changed ur oil?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Old 01-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Why would you even consider telling them? What good could come out of it?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:05 PM

To clarify, the warranty laws require the dealer to show the activity they are voiding the warranty caused or led to the problem or failure. With and engine or drivetrain issue, you really do not have any luck. But, if your radio was messed up or the trunk launch was messed up, they would have a real problem shwoing it. I would say do not mention it unless they have pictures or proof.

As for the Mitsu thing, they were cross referencing SCCA results on websites with people filing warranty claims on engine failures. Being that some SCCA websites put your names on the site and the type and color of your car, you can get discovered that way. Not to mention they were pulling ECU memory and seeing how many times the ABS kicked in, how many times the rev limiter was hit and so on. It is a pretty dirty thing.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:10 PM

Update: well, they changed my oil, and for the first 10 minutes of driving I could hear the noise... then some Vtec'ing on the freeway... and some more driving home...

and the noise is gone ... I think... will let you know more later. I only have 5360 miles as well.

the dealer said it could have been from some bad gasoline as well (??).
Old 01-17-2006, 04:57 PM

i took mine in for the first oil change with shoe polish number still on the passenger window >LOL
it was summer.. top down.. had been down for a couple days. . i left the car there for a couple days to get the rear bumper realigned.. the service guy called laughing..
wanted to know where i'd been racing..
LOL
oops..

no worries.. they didnt care..
now we talk scca autox when i go in..
i do own 3 honda's now so they know me and treat me great..

the one service guy came up to the last auto x and brought his helmet and wanted to ride along.. LOL

fun

got the numbers on the door now.. keeps from having that happen again..

on a lighter note..
my buddy mike WON a new zo6 in a raffle from the national corvette museum.. we went to bowling green to pick it up last tuesday.. what a sweet car..
very pretty
and fast !!!

lucky bastard.

Quick Reply: Can dealer deny warranty