S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can I switch sides on my Stock So-2's?

Old 06-06-2001, 02:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Fronts ONLY!!!!

I know they are directional, but... would it hurt anything to run them the wrong direction for 80 minutes of torture?

I am going to the track, which is 7 right hand turns and 3 lefts.....so.... since I have been there before on these tires, the left front is about gone on the edges, but the right one is ok....

thanks...Scot
Old 06-06-2001, 02:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually it won't make any difference unless it rains. Some will advice you to remount them to even the wear.
Old 06-06-2001, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, that's the right idea, just remount them so that they are going directionally the right way but on the other side...

That's what I would do...then you won't have to mess with getting switched back, either.
Old 06-06-2001, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena
Actually it won't make any difference unless it rains. Some will advice you to remount them to even the wear.
Actually it might. The construction of the case is also asymmetrical. The way the various plies are arranged etc. You might have some strange handling if you switch them.

I'd do what Greg Stevens suggested and have them remounted on the opposite wheel.
Old 06-06-2001, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be OK as long as you have them remounted so they are turning the right/same direction as before. Otherwise they "will" seperate. Hard breaking on reversed tires is asking for trouble.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naishou
[B]Actually it might.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by naishou
[b]Actually it might.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:00 PM

Chris I thought it was the Bridgestone rep that said only the water performance was affected by the tread direction. Bridgestone learn and drive seminar.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Red_s2k
Chris I thought it was the Bridgestone rep that said only the water performance was affected by the tread direction. Bridgestone learn and drive seminar.
Yeah, but anyone could be wrong. I tend to believe he was right.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by cdelena
Originally posted by Red_s2k
Yeah, but anyone could be wrong. I tend to believe he was right.
Here's something I found on the Pirelli UK website:

"Q: My car is equipped with five P7000 tyres. What are the consequences of operating a directional tyre in the wrong direction should I need to fit the spare?
A: A directional tyre is designed to provide enhanced performance in areas such as wet grip, hence the compromises in tread design necessary to enable the tyre to operate equally well in either direction of rotation have been eliminated. The improved performance is only achieved when the direction of rotation, clearly marked on the sidewall, is observed.
A wheel to which a directional tyre is fitted cannot be re-positioned on the opposite side of the vehicle without reversing the tyre's direction of rotation.
Where a user has purchased a directional spare, there is an even chance that, following a puncture, the tyre will be required to operate in the direction opposed to the arrow. In this event, the tyre should be treated as a temporary spare and the vehicle driven accordingly until such time that the damaged tyre can be repaired or replaced. Alternatively, the tyre can be turned on the rim.
Tyres not fitted in accordance with the indications on the sidewall are a reason for MOT failure. "

This is not 100% clear, but it seems to suggest that you are right.

Quick Reply: Can I switch sides on my Stock So-2's?