S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can you really FEEL the strut tower brace?

Old 11-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got the cusco strut tower brace and i think it makes the car understeer ever so slightly...
One thing that DID make a noticable difference was installing one of these babies...

Cusco Lower Arm Bar...
Some have opted for the X-Brace with rave reviews as well...so i suggest u look into those too!
Old 11-08-2003, 10:52 AM

Yes, let's talk about those triangular ones... How would they be better than the "rice-tastic" ones?

The Nurburgring has a lot of bumpy corners and apexes that really unsettle the car if I'm not careful. Perhaps one might help.

///Robin
Old 11-08-2003, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TrueDrezzer
Yes, let's talk about those triangular ones... How would they be better than the "rice-tastic" ones?

The Nurburgring has a lot of bumpy corners and apexes that really unsettle the car if I'm not careful.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

The S2000, as good as it's handling is, still allows some room for improvement (as does any car).

A STB will make an improvement but it is a subtle improvement that is less noticeable to most drivers. After fitting a Whiteline STB to my car I did notice a slight difference in driving feel (some people notice none).

When I added a Whiteline X-Brace I noticed a much more marked difference in driving feel (improved steering response and turn-in, slightly less understeer, better stability on rough, grooved or ridged road surfaces with a tendency to 'wander' less when driving in a straight line).

In my experience the two combined make a marked improvement in driving feel and handling. If you want the most noticeable 'bang for the buck' buy the two together or buy the x-brace first.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The X brace is a proven upgrade although its difference IS on the subtle side. The tower brace issue has been gone over b4 with most people thinkin it adds nothin but looks.
i have an x brace and it works, never bought a tower brace cause of the reviews.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:31 PM

tight a sring to one side to the other. drive around. at the end of the day the string will be broken...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:13 AM

I don't have a STB on my S but I did have one on my RX7, and Rabbit GTI. I'd think that with the improvements in technology and the S2000's refined high x-bone frame and stiff chassis, the effects of having a STB may not be as dramatic as with my earlier cars.

On the older cars, there'd be some chassis flexing during hard cornering (I saw some cracks forming near the strut towers near the welds) and the steering wheel had extra vibration in those cases. Under normal street driving, I couldn't tell it was there unless I drove on some really messed up roads.

By installing the STB (not just any as some appear to be more for bling), the steering wheel had much less vibration, and the car was easier to control during hard cornering (since the steering response was more predictable). I used a Neuspeed model for my GTI instead of those with an adjustable nut in the center which didn't do the job as well as the one piece Neuspeed.

For those who compete a lot and drive their cars hard, the added support may help relieve/share the stress endured by the suspension components. Extra support and stiffening is always a welcomed improvement we'd all like to acquire, but the trick is to know where and how to apply the additional support for the most benefits.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:28 AM
jun

i really don't think u can feel much on the street.. (or that little bit just doesn't do anything)
but really .. u have to take it down race tracks or auto-X ... then u will notice a pretty good difference compare to its price
Old 11-09-2003, 05:50 AM

The difference between the s2k and other cars is the monoque body. There is a HUGE cross brace at the front of the engine, if you look next time you open your bonnet up. It's logical and understandable that a STB wont help "much" compare to the other typical car.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HI SPEEDR
The S2000 is a very specialized, specifically tuned car.

Quick Reply: Can you really FEEL the strut tower brace?