S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can't get to borad from Work :(

Old 12-10-2001, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get to borad from Work :(

Sadly, my company has implemented websense to block out any internet sites from the category "vehicles."

Since I spend most of my time at work, I think this unfair. I am considering running a web server from home and having a URL redirector. This would make it would appear like I am on http://dean29spage.com lets say or 2nd, I am just considering running PC Anywhere on at home and PCAnywhere into my home computer where I can pull up IE from my computer at home.

Any firewall experts have any ideas? I know websense is very tough. I have already tried using different ports but to no avail.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:35 PM

i think you should leave it alone
Old 12-10-2001, 04:47 PM

First of all, I would suggest reading any written policy outlining employee use of the Internet, and make sure you are abiding by the company policy. If your company is using websense, I hope that they have a written policy that employees sign, stating that the company monitors all web and Internet usage. Even if they don't, in most states it is OK for a company to monitor employee's behavior on the net. Always cover your ass, as no website is worth your job, especially in today's market.

That said, here are some ways to defeat their "unfair" software

1) Check your browser settings. It may be simply unchecking the box that says, "proxy server" - or something to that effect. If it is a must that you use a proxy server to get out of the firewall, i.e. they only let port 8080 out, then find another proxy server to use. Visit http://www.cyberarmy.com/lists and click on the proxy server lists. Beware though that you are using other person's proxy server without their permission (could be bad). Of course if you use a proxy server based out of russia, china, or other not-so-friendly country, you might be safe This is what most crooks do when making illegal web transactions....when the feds trace the path back and see haX0r3d.system.ru they will likely stop because of lack of co-operation between the country's authorities.

2) Your default route (a.k.a the firewall or router) could be intercepting all outgoing traffic on port 80, and analyzing it. In this case, things may be a little more difficult. What I would then do is attempt to use a proxy server (from above list) on any port except 80 - most run on 8080 and some run on 1080. Most companies don't really filter outgoing traffic (big mistake), so you might be able to get away with this. If you're not comfortable using someone else's proxy server from the list, run your own on a cable modem. The company firewall HAS to let certain traffic out, so you can try a variety of ports, even TCP port 53, which is surely open.

3) This is a little advanced, but if you're running any kind of linux or bsd system at home, you could also setup an encrypted tunnel, this way your traffic is secure from the evil prying eyes

Good luck dude, and let us know how things work out for you
Old 12-10-2001, 05:32 PM

If it's the company's computer and Internet connection, and you're a company employee working on company time, and they're serious enough about Internet usage monitoring/filtering to invest in Websense, and you like your job, I'd suggest leaving it alone. Of course, every situation is unique.

I've seen people I know get fired over stuff like this. As much as I love this site, I just don't see how it's more important than a job.

Of course if your PC happens to have a modem and you happen to have an analog jack and you happen to dial up to another Internet connection... All hypothetically speaking, of course. Just make sure they're not inventorying software on your machine also (if you're using a "free" ISP that requires software installed).

My 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:42 PM

Of course if your PC happens to have a modem and you happen to have an analog jack and you happen to dial up to another Internet connection... All hypothetically speaking, of course. Just make sure they're not inventorying software on your machine also (if you're using a "free" ISP that requires software installed).
Ouch! The Security Consultant in me hates to hear this A gaping whole in an otherwise firewalled and secured network...I break into many companies this way - all legally of course
Old 12-10-2001, 05:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a kind of backwards way of suggesting they would rather pay you to work than surf da web. Funny that.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:52 PM

Guys.

I worked 92 hours last week. I worked 80 + hours over 8 weeks straight over Septmeber - October. I have put in more than 50 all nighters this year. I am paid salary of course and get paid the same whether I work 36 hours or 90. If I want to check the message boards occasionaly on the S2000 forum and check ESPN, I feel that I have earned the right.

And no my company has never made us sign a written policy on acceptable web use.

Dean
Old 12-10-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If that's the case, you want a job?

I'd ask your superior for permission to access S2ki and ESPN or whatever. Explain the situation, you spend way too many waking hours at work and would like to at least have a cyberlink to a normal life. I'm sure the software allows access for individual IPs.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:06 PM

set your web browser to use a proxy, I use one, you can try it at work, point your browser settings to use http proxy of:

squeezer.net and the port is 8000
Old 12-10-2001, 06:10 PM
jzr

Don't know much about Websense, but a couple things to try.
First, the simplest - surf to the IP address - last I checked that would be http://216.120.113.130

If that doesn't work and you're not having any luck fiddling with the proxies, you could install VNC (my preferred remote control program) or PC Anywhere on a persistently connected home machine, and surf the site remotely through your home machine.

Good luck dude, I've been in your exact situation! Fortunately I work in IT so I just rewrote our proxy rules...hehehe

Quick Reply: Can't get to borad from Work :(