S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car Cover Recommendations

Old 02-08-2002, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover Recommendations

I did a search, but found nothing directly addressing this, so apologies if it's been done to death.

We don't have a garage, only a driveway, and I'm uncomfortable with the world seeing our new '02 Red/Black. I need a top-quality cover that can stand up to wind, rain, snow, and stifling summer humidity (we live in the Washington DC area).

I know Honda makes an S2000 cover, but I'm just wondering if I should hit the aftermarket. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-08-2002, 09:23 AM

I bought the top-of-the-line model at Pep Boys. It's just as good as the OEM in terms of quality and fits the S2K almost perfectly (with the mirrors folded in). It was under $125.

I forget the name of the manufacturer, but it's tan in color and has a Shelby Cobra on the box. I have zero scratches on my car after 6 months of repeated use.

Keep in mind that the above cover is not intended for outdoor use as it is only a dust cover. I may be wrong, but covering your vehicle outdoors is a bad idea as moisture will get trapped between the cover and the paint, resulting in discoloration, rust, etc. There are covers designed for outdoor use, I just wouldn't use them.

If your S2K is stored outdoors, your best choice is to leave the paint exposed with a quality wax applied. After it (acid) rains on a hot afternoon, immediately remove the rain-water to prevent water spots.

If someone more knowledgeable than me has a better suggestion, feel free to offer it.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only cover that will meet your standards is the Weathershield. Do a search for it and you will find many comments and comparos.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Second that

I've got a weathershield cover...they run about $300 or so. Light, water proof, breathable, UV protection, won't scratch the finish etc. etc. You did mention wind, however, and for that you'd need a locking cable kit for it as the cover does tend to balloon a whole lot in the wind. Any cover outdoors is a compromise. Maybe you can look into one of those portable "temporary" structures that they sell to store cars. Would be a whole lot better than storing it with a cover only.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:02 AM

I have a Weathershield cover for my other vehicle (the S2K gets the garage space). I bought a "Covercraft" brand cover, and it's great. The Weathershield is a lightweight breathable fabric with excellent all-weather protection. The Covercraft website lists attributes of their varous cover materials. http://www.covercraft.com/cover_fabrics.htm

I considered getting the Noah fabric because it affords better ding protection and is cheaper, but the Weathershield can be washed in a home washing machine. There's a reliable seller on ebay who sells these covers for about the best prices I've seen, and includes a storage bag and cable lock with the deal. PM me for more info if you want it.

I have no affiliation with the company and the seller other than satisfied customer.

Sheri
Old 02-08-2002, 03:31 PM

Thanks to all who answered. Wow, after I searched for "Weathershield" the threads came up all over the place -- this subject HAS been done to death.
I'm going with a Weathershield from Auto Anything in San Diego -- $220 for cover, bag and lock. Looks like 1-2 week delivery.