S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car On Order: Can It Be Tracked?

Old 05-05-2002, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car On Order: Can It Be Tracked?

This is my dilemma: Gave $1000.00 down on car but they had no Spa Yellows. The dealer has a silver car in stock and plans on swapping it with another dealer but the car has not yet arrived at the other dealer. The agreement was $1000.00 down and car by the end of the month. I want to know where the hell this car is! If the car does not arrive by the end of May I will consider the agreement void since a dealer in Pa can get it for me in 3 days. My Porsche dealer was quite accomodating in this regard and was able to tell me exactly where the car was at any given time. BTW think they will give me a hard time on the deposit if they don't get the car by the end of the month? One hell of a long month.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:38 AM

With mine, they were very vague as to dates. "Built around this week" then "assigned" then in port then due "around" some date. It seeemd ot sit in port for 2 weeks!! Not like BMW that tells you exactly what happened or will happen when you order a car from them. Still, they told me it would arrive in April and it did.

Good luck!!
Old 05-05-2002, 04:49 AM

Mine was supposed to ship on April 19, but I found out Friday that it actually left Japan on April 26. Any sailors out there know how long it takes to sail across the pond? Do they come into the states in CA or WA?
Old 05-05-2002, 04:54 AM
DrJ

I ordered an '02 last October. Was told it would be here mid-December. In mid-February of this year it still had not come in. (Only vague "probably's" from the dealer). Finally, the dealer called and said he had one in, not the color I ordered, but brand new, and did I want it. I went ahead and took it - the color was fine. Don't know when the one I ordered ever came in.

DrJ
Old 05-05-2002, 05:47 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

In your case, though, it may not be possible, since you said that your dealer is waiting on another dealer. That other dealer can probably get the info, but how you get them to do this is a different question. Maybe your dealer can check with them.

Generally, though, I don't think that the dealers get any detailed information, especially when the cars that you're getting is part of the dealer's monthly allocation. In those cases, about all they get is to be notified when the car arrives in port, and the VIN is assigned to the dealer. From there, it's usually a few days to about 10 days to ship cross country, depending on where it's going.

Sounds like your case is one where your dealer is trading a car from their allocation with another dealer that 'happens' to have a Spa coming in. The best you can probably hope for is to get a call from your dealer about a week in advance. More likely, you'll get a call when it arrives at the other dealer.

JonasM
Old 05-05-2002, 03:52 PM

Honda does not provide its dealers with any real tools for incoming cars to be tracked. Basically all they get is a date when the car is supposed to be built (which can sometimes vary by as much as a week), then after that they find out what the VIN is and the date it left the factory. You can usually estimate the time of arrival from the ship date, but it's not always accurate because for some reason, especially when they come from Japan as with S2Ks, they can sit at the port for a while for whatever reason. Generally in CA it takes a car about 4 weeks for arrive from Japan. Once in a long while it can be 2 or 6.

In the original case since it's going to be a dealer trade, that makes it even more difficult for the selling dealer because they have to rely on the other dealer on getting the info.