S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Carpet full of mouse pee

Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet full of mouse pee

I didn't control mice over the winter in my dirt-floor shed where I stored my S2000. There's a strong mouse urine odor inside now, and there's mouse turds on the carpet. Got to get the smell out - I've only drove it once this season because of this.

Any one know the best way to clean this up?

Steve
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a $5 trim remover tool from Autozone and pull the interior carpet. Get a hose, brush and car wash soap. Then use "Simple Solution" or other pet urine odor remover to finish up.

You could just spot treat, but the smell will linger....
Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, pull the carpet out and give it the royal cleaning. It comes out pretty easy you could have the whole job done minus drying time in under 3 hours.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

mouse urine.... i never even thought of what it would smell like...

is it strong like dog pee?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM

I'd check for electrical issues before you cause some electrical damage. They may have chewed through some wires.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

..."Then use "Simple Solution" or other pet urine odor remover to finish up."

CKit is right ---the pet odor remover is an essential step--it contains an enzyme (like a yeast) that actually eats the bacteria that cause the odor. It's available in spray carpet cleaners that say they're for pet odors or you can get a concentrated bottle of it at any pet store.
Just follow the directions--they usually say to soak the area and let it dry--in a few days the odor should be gone (it removes tough cat urine smells--hopefully mouse droppings are not that bad)
good luck!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

...yeah, its a pretty intrusive odor.

Steve
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Update...

I stored the car until now, driving occasionally to keep the tires round and seals lubed, after discovering the mouse problem in the first year of storage. After that I kept poison bait (which they ate) in the area and put moth balls in the interior and trunk, and dropped one down each exhaust tip.

I just cleaned it up and put the car back in service. Odor is gone now, no visible wire chews or electrical problems that I can detect, but the edge of the leather on my shift knob is chewed in a tiny spot, and there is about a quarter-sized chew on the edge of one of my floor mats.

1. Removed mouse nest from engine air cleaner box having two dead mice in it. Cleaned out and sprayed with pet urine remover and replaced air filter.
2. Had interior and trunk cleaned and shampooed by some guys in town, $45, (did not remove carpet, one dead mouse in trunk), then sprayed the areas with urine remover. Still strong odor coming from cabin ventilation system.
3. Removed mouse nest found on top of cabin air filter, cleaned up and sprayed area, installed new cabin air filter. Lucky for me, they had not chewed through the filter to penetrate any deeper.

Problem solved - I finally can enjoy my car again.

Steve
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM

You don't need to pull up the carpet. Mice do not pee enough volume at a time for it to soak through the carpet...each urination amounts to about 1 drop. That smell is in the carpet fibers themselves...pet odor carpet cleaner will do the trick, followed by airing it out in the sun with the top down for a day.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Does mouse piss show up on a carfax report??

Quick Reply: Carpet full of mouse pee