S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Charging mount solution.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Charging mount solution.

I wanted the following:
-No permanent changes (no cutting or bolting or something through visible dashboard materials. No adhesives)
-One handed insert/removal
-Qi Charging
-Reasonably tidy installation

Used a Modrify bracket:
Modifry® Dash Bracket

An AMPS to 17mm adapter plate (there are cheaper options, I liked that this can slide off)
https://www.amazon.com/ARKON-APGN-VSM-Vehicle-Specific-Connects/dp/B002ACP2FY/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=ARKON+APGN-VSM+Vehicle+Specific+Mount+Adapter&qid=1554749040&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull https://www.amazon.com/ARKON-APGN-VSM-Vehicle-Specific-Connects/dp/B002ACP2FY/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=ARKON+APGN-VSM+Vehicle+Specific+Mount+Adapter&qid=1554749040&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

An Anker Qi Charger
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9FYBMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9FYBMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a cable with an L connector for neatness.
Amazon Amazon

Currently using the power port on the back of the console but will wire it to switched power at some point.

I do something similar with my Jeep, using a Carolina Metal Master's grab handle, a RAM mount and a 1" to 17mm adapter.

Very happy with the result.

Probably will post pics at some point but there's not much to show that you can't visualize.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Well, my brain is not visualizing the power connection given the pics from Amazon. I am familiar with the Modifry Bracket but I was unaware it provided tapped in power somehow. Not sure I follow you plugging in at the "back of the console". Wondering how you you power the L cable.

I have an Akron stiff mount attached to the pax seat bolt. I have thought about tapping into the aftermarket headhunt for power.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Well, my brain is not visualizing the power connection given the pics from Amazon. I am familiar with the Modifry Bracket but I was unaware it provided tapped in power somehow. Not sure I follow you plugging in at the "back of the console". Wondering how you you power the L cable.

I have an Akron stiff mount attached to the pax seat bolt. I have thought about tapping into the aftermarket headhunt for power.
It's currently just tapped into the center console power plug, the one near your right elbow (in a US spec S2000) with a standard USB cable tucked forward. I use the L wire purely because it looks better and is easier to plug/unplug.

Next warm day, I'll run a wire into the engine compartment or some other source for switched power so all wires can be hidden.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I used this flat ribbon cable. Link below. I routed it behind the Modifry bracket, so its not visible. I used Velcro to secure to back of Modifry. That way its less hassle if I need to remove dash.

The other end goes to a usb port I wired under the dash.

The ribbon cable is basically a usb extension cord. I contacted the manufacturer through Amazon, and they sent me a longer ribbon cable for free. Like 15 inchs. It just plugs into the usb ends, which get reused, and the short ribbon gets tossed.

This thing would be too delicate to survive stress of daily plugging unplugging. The idea is I then used a short, 6" charging cable with the usb end my phone uses. This way, when I swap phones, and need a different mini usb end (like to go from micro usb to usb C), I just replace the 6" cord. The 6" cord also takes the daily plugging abuse.

The manufacturer said they would do the same ribbon cable swap for others.

AmazonFlatRibbonCable AmazonFlatRibbonCable

I will do a writeup once I get it 100% complete. Waiting on my magnetic mount.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you me? I had just done this same setup.
Tried looking for someone that had did this prior to doing it too so I could see what would mount up to the modifry.

I used this aluminum adapter plate because I was iffy on the plastic ones
iBOLT Aluminum 17mm AMPs Adapter Plate
Amazon Amazon

I also used a quick disconnect magnetic usb to plug into the Qi incase the wire gets in my way I can pull it off quickly. For now I have it run over the mount then tucked under along the console, not the cleanest wire to look at but so far it has done the job and is out of my way shifting

Old 04-17-2019, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I have the modifry mount and this has given me a good idea. Love Anker products so will definitely buy one of those wireless chargers. Looks like I missed out on a deal for £20.39 yesterday.