S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Check engine light! (diagnosed)

Old 08-07-2001, 03:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Check engine light! (diagnosed)

Its a #2 cylinder mis-fire. So it into Honda to get it fixed.(I brought it to my own mechanic for a 36,000 mile checkup) I hate bringing it to Honda but its going to be under warrantee so I will have to pray they don't mess anything up!
Old 08-07-2001, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'Luck my friend ... I hope you get that sorted out by your Honda dealer once and for all.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]Its a #2 cylinder mis-fire.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:35 PM

[B]Its a #2 cylinder mis-fire.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:29 AM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roceye
[B]

PO302?
Old 08-08-2001, 06:33 PM

[B]

I have a big question!!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Community Organizer

Well its getting all new plugs and coils. They are going to adjust the valves too. I don't like the idea of that but hay if that is what Honda calls for then thats whats gotta be done. Well 37,000 miles of redlining the car does take its tole on the car ya know.

I will be bitching out the service manager and telling him I will hover over the car and if he has a problem with that I will take my business for ever elsewhere and bad mouth the shop for ever!

I hate having my car in the shop but when a tech peels out leaving a 2 foot strip on the ground I get a bit pissed!
Old 08-21-2001, 12:26 AM

Hello Pinky and the rest of the S2KI gang. This is my first post, but I look forward to many more. I picked up my blk/blk 2000 S2K (11,400 miles) on Monday 8/7, and before the excitement about my new purchase and subsequent VTECing could hit it's "powerband", the "Check Engine" light began emanating it's ominous glow from the dash 5 minutes after I left the dealership. No more accurate definition for the word "bummer" could exist. Here is how the dealership explained the problem to me. I'm not much of a mechanic, so if I'm explaining a few things incorrectly, please forgive me.

According to the service manager, I had a misfire in one of the cylinders. What they found was that one of the valves had began to slightly slip into the cylinder, causing a loss of pressure, which resulted in the "missfire" report. Their fix was VERY amicable...a complete valve job. (even though there was no actual valve damage to any of the valves) According to them, it was simply the "seat" that holds the valve in place that was giving way. (I'm sure there's a real name for that "seat" part) But they wanted to make SURE that there was no way anything similar could happen with any other valves.

Re: your question about driving the car with this problem, he indicated that had I continued to drive the car, the valve could have slipped a little more, and actually entered the cylinder chamber....and instead of new valves, I'd be getting a whole new block. Damn, what kind of sound do you think THAT would have made??

OK, I'm a little embarrassed by my lack of mechanical knowledge, but to all of you mechanically inclined sorts out there, does all that sound feasible? I don't think the dealership would have any reason to mislead me. And although I had to VERY impatiently wait another week before I could go Stookin', I picked her up last Monday and am just beginning to learn the MANY joys of VTECing!!!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 08-21-2001, 07:48 PM

A loose valve seat is pretty uncommon but fatal if not treated promptly. You should have heard a ugly rattling sound from the engine.

Good thing you didn't vtec it.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:42 PM
Community Organizer

I was told it was not a problem to run the car as is. The misfire only happens when its at idle. That is when the light comes on.

I have not taken the car for long trips but have not really changed my driving. Hay they said it was ok to run on it so I say if it blows up sux for me but they told me it was ok! I don't think that it will slip into the cylinder!(unless there is a big problem)

I got a question. What mods does everybody have on their cars that have this misfire happening? I have Mugen Headers, P-flow TB and shortly after installing the JR filter the light came on. Previous to that I had a K&N in there.

Just looking to see if there is a correlation. Wondering if this is going to be a common thing for tracked cars and cars that run hard for more than say 15,000 miles? Maybe past 30 it becomes more prevolent(sp).

Quick Reply: Check engine light! (diagnosed)