S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ChrisD - his car ROCKS

Old 12-04-2001, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ChrisD - his car ROCKS

Wow, Chris came by and dyno'd his car this evening at my shop. I won't steal all the thunder from him, but I will say I was super impressed. Speed Craft did an excellent job with the turbo fabrication, but the fuel solution I was a little dissapointed and underwhelmed with. But, it works for low boost levels and he'll get away with higher boost levels with race gas. I hope he takes me up on the offer to run the 1/4 this Thursday!
Old 12-05-2001, 05:06 AM

First of all, it's not a 'fuel' solution that's the issue. It's a compression vs. boost vs. detonation issue which is solved, they're just waiting on some outside vendor to deliver the goods.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:13 AM

I'll see if I can't make it out there.. but no guaruntees, I haven't actually DRIVEN a 1/4 myself yet. I actually haven't launched a whole lot yet (trying to keep my axle+diff alive), so we'll see how I do. To tell you the truth, after zipping around your shop a little last night, the chirping of the tires, plus the spinning in 1st really heated up the tires, and I think that as hot they don't perform as well. I'm probably gonna avoid the pre-stage peel-out dealie, see how warm (as opposed to hot) tires work out for me. Wish me luck everyone.

Also for those curious, we managed to eke out about 334 to the wheels (with a really nice shaped torque curve) at about 8.8 psi on around 107 octane (it was a bit of a mix with some 92).
Old 12-05-2001, 05:15 AM

Sorry, need more clarification it seems:

334 peak RWHP, 8.8psi with exhaust and everything ON the car, 108 octane gas.

This might not seem to be a jump from my 334 dyno at speedcraft, but the dyno at speedcraft was performed at 10psi with open headers. I'd be interested in seeing how we did now with open headers at 10psi but we're already pretty lean so I don't wanna push it.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:46 AM

VaporTrail,

Haven`t seen you in a while.

ChrisD: you don`t need to heat up your stockers..only slicks.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2001, 09:19 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by vtecvoodoo
ChrisD: you don`t need to heat up your stockers..only slicks.

Ryan
Tell that to Greg and Scarlet I
Old 12-05-2001, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]First of all, it's not a 'fuel' solution that's the issue.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:50 AM

Stand alone engine management would IMO, in this case be excessive, they are not cheap and they're a pain in the but. We didn't have any problems with mine and I'm using the exact same set-up as Chris. By the way, you can use the V-AFC to add or subtract fuel from various rev ranges. In addition to which we used Comptech as an A/F reference so I guess they're set up is wrong also?
Old 12-05-2001, 10:00 AM

There's a difference between the optimum level for power, and the optimum level for safe, reliable power. I hope Chris posts the dyno sheets, you can see what I mean.

Having built many a Honda motors (I own a high performance shop here in Tampa), I've seen many hacks that manufacturers consider solutions for fuel management. Using stock injectors, a 12:1 rise rate FMU, no ignition retard, a VAFC, and an upgraded pump is hardly a solution - I call them bandaids. I could reproduce that setup for under 700 bucks. When it comes to fuel management, this is about as a stone age setup as one can get. A nice system like Speed Pro or SDS would offer greater drivability, power, and reliability. A speed pro system with 440 or 550cc injectors, 1:1 rate regulator, and about 5-6 hours of dyno time would yeild great gains in every aspect.

Sure, it sounds like overkill, until you get tired of massaging the bandaids. C'mon, you bought a 32k+ car, you're gonna skimp in that area? Just my opinion which is based on experience.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B] By the way, you can use the V-AFC to add or subtract fuel from various rev ranges.

Quick Reply: ChrisD - his car ROCKS