S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Close call today

Old 03-13-2001, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my way to visit my parents this evening, I passed a silver Eclipse. I noticed them checking out my car as I passed. I was going about 55-60mph, the speed limit. They casually followed suit and switched over to my lane keeping a reasonable distance behind. We came over a hill where traffic was at a dead stop. I had to get on the brakes, but not to the point of ABS or anything that severe. This was a 4 lane road, 2 lanes each direction with a median turn lane. The Eclipse guy must have been talking to the passenger and not watching the road because just as I was checking my rear-view, I saw his headlights swerve to the right of my rear fender and plow into the car which came to a stop in the next lane over. It seems he decided to hit that car instead of slamming straight into me! I had the top down and heard the crunch that sounds like a large coke can being smashed. Little plastic bits pinged against the right side of my car. Im sure he was ok. They both pulled over. I say he was going about 30mph or so on impact. I feel bad for the guy but I really want to thank him for not plowing into me. Needless to say, I escaped a close one tonight.

Good night and drive safe.

Bill
Old 03-13-2001, 06:18 PM

Same thing happened to me on the way to work last Thursday only a couple more cars were involved. I was coming up on this stretch of highway that always bogs down, I slow gradually and come to a stop, leaving room in front of me "just in case" (I've been rear-ended once already so I'm cautious about things like this now). A green 87ish Plymouth duster behind me comes to a stop, cool. The white 80ish sentra behind him didn't.

WHAM!

The Chrysler Concorde behind the Sentra comes to an even more abrupt stop.

WHAM! BAM! BAM! Concorde meets Sentra meets Duster and the
duster and sentra go flying by my right rear quarter.

WHAM! one last time as a ranger pickup smacks the Concorde.

In the middle of it all, I stab at the gas and break to the left into a snowbank and come out unscathed. Well, except for a bent tow hook since I needed to be winched out of the snow. Better than getting tagged.

The guy in the duster comes over and says "I didn't hit you did I? Sh!t! That's cool. I saw you were an S2000 in front of me and tried real hard to make sure I missed!"

While I was waiting to be winched a couple of the state troopers who responded asked me all kinds of questions about the stook. What year? How many hp? Six or Eight cylinder? Buy it new or leftover? Nice color, what other colors does it come in?
Old 03-13-2001, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that The guy didn't want to take out your S2000 but would have been happy to smash into, say, that BMW to your left?

Glad he missed you!
Old 03-13-2001, 06:39 PM
Former Moderator

It's crazy how dangerous it can get when people aren't paying atention. I'm glad he missed you!

It kind of reminds me of a similar story. I was on the highway heading home in the fast lane, 2 hot chicks come up beside me in a BMW conv. We exchanged winks and such and they were trying to get me to give them my cell number. As I was hand signleing the number traffic for them had stopped in the middle lane. When I was on the last digit the plowed into the car in front and I went flying past. By the time It registerd I was a fair ways ahead. So I kept going. I was glad I didn't finish the number. I would have hated to me on the end of that phone call.
Afterwards and to this day, I always felt kinda bad about the whole situation.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I go to DC monthly...and your making a stink over a near miss? I won't even RENT a car there......! My last two trips I have seen poor bastards on bicycles taken out like flys.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, there should be a name for this phenomena. A lot of people here have had people glance at their car, and then lose their sight temporarily.

-B
Old 03-13-2001, 07:09 PM

DC is a battlezone.....better be real careful!
Old 03-13-2001, 07:10 PM

I think this is what the doctors call "getting stooked".

Mark
Old 03-13-2001, 07:19 PM

Wow, talk about coincidence. I had a very similar incident happen yesterday. This POS black econo car (Hyundai or Kia, or some sort) stuck right on my ass on the way to work. The road I was on is two lane (one east one west), heavily traveled, and always backs up a few blocks from where I live. I know this so I don't go speeding around the corner only to be surprised by a long line of creeping traffic. This moron however forces me to goose it on up to put a cushion between us. So I was doing 49 in a 45 with about a 3~4 car length space between me and labato-boy when I rounded the corner and traffic was at a dead stop. I needed to break harder than normal but no where near abs. From behind I hear that ever recognizable sound of an idiot in a car w/out abs - Screeeeeee. I had the top down so it was easy to asses my options. The oncoming lane was empty for quite a ways so instead of coming to a stop behind the car in front of me I just slipped to the left of him. Moron boy comes to a smoking stop in the space I would have occupied. Smooooth move, now do you know what following distance is for? The car in front/beside me was a nice Civic SI and the driver stuck his arm out and gave me the thumbs up for saving both our asses
Old 03-13-2001, 07:41 PM

I was traveling in the fast lane on our perimeter hwy and it was raining. The traffic was thick going the other way and then I saw about 5 cars get into it in their left lane. Then about 100 yards down, since all the traffic going the other way had to slam on the brakes because of the wreck that just happened ahead of them, a few more cars hit each other... then it happened again, and again, and then again! I must have seen 5 different rear end collisions involving 20 or so cars before I got too far ahead of all the cars locking up their brakes. Glad I was west-bound!

Quick Reply: Close call today