S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch Burnt out

Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Burnt out

Ok guys, just wanted to get some other people thoughts on this situation. I worked for Darrell Waltrip Volvo Honda for a year or so selling cars. I enjoyed my stay and really liked the people. Good solid dealership. During my time there and now I have bought 4 cars from them. Service has been good and everything great

Now most of you know a little about my car. When i first got the ride I threw a rod bearing and had my race engine built. I then had the engine assembled and I took it to
my " Friends" as Darrell Waltrip. They were the ones that pulled the motor/tranny to start with and then install it back in for me. I then provided them with a Clutchmasters clutch to put in. Install is the same as a stock clutch nothing different. Install everything and it was great.

Now my clutch has gone out. I took the car to my friends shop so I could pull the tranny. he is a good friend so we just made a afternoon out of it. When we taking the tranny out we noticed to bellhousing bolts missing. Then we found the undercarage was beaten in on the corner so the mechanic could remove the 2 bolts on the bellhousing. They are a pain to get to and you have to rock the motor to get the bolt out as there isnt enough clearance. So basicly what they did was use a mallet and beat under there till they beat it in enough to remove the bolt.

When we finally get the tranny off the bolts holding the Pressure Plate to the flywheel were just over hand tight. My clutch pads are worn to the bolts, the pressure plate is cooked and my Flywheel has deep grooves in the friction material. LET IT BE KNOW I HAVE 5000 MILES ON MY CLUTCH. So im lucky everything didnt come apart in the tranny.

I go talk to my Service manger that I used to work with when I worked there and told him what was done and they were the lasts ones to do this. He pretty much told me Tuff luck that i drive my car hard. This damage was done from not having tighten the bolts up. Also who leaves 2 bellhousing bolts missing and beat the SH IT out of the car underneath. He basicly told me he isnt doing anything and doesnt care.

So after working at this place for a year, getting along with everyone great, Always visiting and buying 4 cars they tell me to go to hell. Am I in the wrong here or is this complete Shiat??
Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 PM

Stories like these make me nervous about going to the dealership for even the most mundane of services. As far as being treated improperly at the dealership, did you try to go higher up in the chain of command at the dealership? Next call Honda of North America.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

call AHM and complain, you wotn get anywhere with the dealership scum (as you know so far)
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah I will be talking to the GM there. The sad thing is I worked with these people and I know they do good work. But they are being stuck up and not admiting to any of the stuff they did. I even said, lets leave the clutch out of this. WHY did you beat my underside up to get the tranny out and why were the bolts missing. All other bolts were secure and tight. He could give me no answer except , My tech told me he put them all in and tightened everthing. Given I dont drive my car much its only had around 5000 since then in the last 16months. Im sure the tech can remember my car A year and a half ago and remember putting all the bolts in. Dout it!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that. If this is the Darrell Waltrip Honda in Franklin, TN I can especially believe everything you are saying. I took my car there twice and refused to even leave it with them. From the minute I walked in the door they would start talking (right in front of me) about how sure they were that my car had been abused and neglected.

I am a total noob when it comes to automotive repair. I am reading the forums daily trying to learn as much as I can. This weekend I will attempt to replace my TCT on my own because I do not want to take it to the dealer.

Is there any sort of governing commission/agency that oversees dealer/garage ethics? Anything other than the parent company?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 PM

In the end I will looset this battle I think. The biggest thing that really kills me is that I worked for this place and didnt see this kinda of stuff happening. Maybe its because everything is kept quiet and under the table. My family own a big dealership here in nashville. I work in our service department taking care of 100 fleet accounts. So my job is to handle situations like the one I am in. So seeing this first hand I undetsand both ends but this is just a case of someone being a dick head.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG I am sorry about your situation but please take some grammar/spelling classes man.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM

Do they warranty their work at the dealership for things that aren't oem? I see how you should be mad because of the shitty work, but then again if it isn't covered by warranty then you can't really say much. Especially it being so long ago...either way good luck with the situation. It sucks reading about how dealerships don't like helping people out...maybe you need to remind them about the commercials going on about honda helping people out =P
Old 04-04-2007, 02:16 PM

I understand that they do not have to cover anything thats not oem. The fact is that the installation process was the cuase of the failure. If the clutch was installed and everything was done correctly, then I would admit to it being my own fault. When I see bolts missing and the Pressure plate bolts all loose with no lock tite used it leads we to think the work was not done correctly. In the end I can pay for a new clutch. I have a Excedy Hyper single and a J's Chromoly flywheel on the way. The point of the matter is that they do not want to accept responsibility for the workmanship done.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boofster,Apr 4 2007, 01:45 PM
OMG I am sorry about your situation but please take some grammar/spelling classes man.
I didnt know you taking notes I try spell beeeter next tine

Quick Reply: Clutch Burnt out