S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch feels weird after heavy rain

Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch feels weird after heavy rain

Okay, so the day before yesterday it was raining really hard over here and I probably went over a few deep puddles of water but nothing to hard for my car to handle. (Just throwing this out, might or might not have anything to do with it.)

Anyway, today morning, I hop and as soon I start reversing I idle out. I soon discover that my clutch feels less stiff than before. As I sit there, I kind of try and get a feel for the amount of travel it has on the clutch pedal and it doesn't feel the same. So basically, (I hope this makes sense):

Before: Foot<--Up to 30% effortless travel--then 30-100% clutch engage after that-->Floor
Now: Foot<--Up to 75% effortless travel--75-100% clutch engage after that-->Floor

I mean, nothing really hasn't changed as far as the clutch engaging like normal. Its just that before it used to be a bit stiffer and I had alot of leeway to engage the clutch but no I just get a very small portion and I found myself putting in a lot of gas to get in gear. BUT then again, it could also be the fact that since my clutch feels different that perhaps I haven't gotten used to slightly smushier clutch.

BOTTOMLINE: Clutch doesn't feel stiff anymore. I have no idea what it could be but it wasn't the same after going over a few puddles.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When in doubt, flush the clutch!

Honestly, I'm not sure. You might have gotten some water in the line somehow. Maybe you have a very small leak that let moisture get in?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks man. Actually, I went back in it again to get a little feel for it and it felt a little better. Im going to see if it will go back to normal in a couple days. Kinda weird.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 PM

NEVERMIND, I went to use my car again and I was having problems getting into 1,2 and 5,6 and reverse. I kept trying to wiggle it in and after a good 4 minutes I could finally get into gear. Drove back and it felt normal coming back.

I have no idea what's going on. My suspicions tell me there was something stuck inside or something. How do you check transmission oil, if possible?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Check your clutch hydraulics. When was the last time the clutch fluid was changed and bled?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dan H,Jul 5 2008, 08:25 PM
Check your clutch hydraulics. When was the last time the clutch fluid was changed and bled?
That I have no idea. Its a high mileage car, only had it for about 6 month so far; bought it when it had 105,000, currently has 110,000 miles.

I was thinking of getting my fluids flushed. What kind of gear oil should I use? Do you know how much labor costs for a flush? I was thinking of just buying the tranny/gear oil and taking it to the dealer to do.

Also, I have Rick 4.56 gear set if that has anything to do with anything.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just too throw this out there, but you should probably contort yourself and take a peak at your clutch pedal at the push-rod entering the cylinder. you might be suffering from a leak. look for brake fluid and black residue.

such a thing is covered under warranty... but since your car is already past 100k, i dun think that's an option.

good luck.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:12 AM

Checked that and nothing ^^.

I just went into my car this morning and same thing again. Tried to put it into gear and couldn't. After a while of trying force it into gear slowly, each gear I was able to get into certain gears. I didnt mess with it after that. Im upset. Anyone?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Hmmm, I think I found out the problem. Seems like Im having a clutch fluid leak. Check my Clutch fluid and it was below the MIN.

Hopefully thats it. I'll check it again when the car gets cold again to make sure its that.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Community Organizer

If that's not it, it may be a seized pilot bearing. With 110k miles on the car, I'd consider getting the clutch replaced, anyway....especially with not knowing how previous owners took care of it.

Quick Reply: Clutch feels weird after heavy rain