S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cold Air Intake

Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air Intake

I might be beating a dead horse....but ... what cold air intake do you recommend and why? My son mentioned something about a typhoon ...K&H? If you don't have time to tell me why, just tell what your running. I will do the research.
Litho.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be K&N Typhoon.
I am using K&N..and I am luving it....a lot of people use AEM cold air intake, or comptech...etc.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 PM

I've never seen a Typhoon for the S2000. Several people run a stock air box with K&N drop in filter (my set up, and my air box is gutted) Others choose the AEM which is a long ram intake (extending into the fender wheel) making it prone to hydrolock if you live in a wet area or have to drive in high standing water.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I wrote in your other thread at "the other site":
I had the AEM for a couple years and liked it. Never had any problems.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM

The stock airbox is designed really well. If you use some sort of drop in filter like K&N, Spoon, Comptech, Mugen, etc.

You can also gut the stock air box, which can increase flow and heat soak. Using a snorkle like the Spoon snorkle or a cooling plate with an air flow router like the AUT in combination seems to be the best intake for most people.
You can spend $12-1500 on the Mugen or J's Racing intakes, but they have similar gains as the gutted stock airbox but with the bling factor.

Comptech makes an enclosed airbox intake, but people complain of fitment issues with this intake.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM

i've had my AEM CAI V1 for over 2 1/2 years now and i've had no issues with hydrolocking and the sound is so much better than stock. i've driven through 3+ inches of flowing water on a roadway near my house (it was flooded) for several miles with the black plastic piece on the front bumper cut out and nothing happened. best mod for $220 shipped off ebay. make sure to get an AEM and not a cheap generic one though.
-Chris
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had AEM and I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds good but sits far too low. I switched to the Comptech ice box and trust me, it's the best buy. The fitment isn't bad at all, you just have to have common sense to install it. It sounds about the same as the AEM, and it just looks awesome with the carbon fiber. It's worth every penny...DO IT!!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 AM

i like my AEM v2 sounds great!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM

I'll ask again - Does having the AEM reduce throttle response? The way I understood it - airboxes are like a bucket that holds air available for use - The J's, mugen and comptech all have the swollen piping design to do the same thing I am guessing (yes, guessing).

My personal experience with AEM CAI in a 4 door integra GSR - I know that the AEM seemed to provide lots more at top end, but for dailly driving etc, I felt as though I had lost power.

I am wondering if the S2k is the same...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 AM

^no it does not too me it improved the throttle response

it defitnitly did not lose horse power either i mean the gains main be minimal but its a great intake! never have had any problems with either of my AEM's

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake