S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Common s2k problems

Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common s2k problems

Im currently looking for an s2k and was wondering what the common problems i should be looking for. Ill probably be looking for an ap1. I know the rear windows can crack if there plastic. Iv also noticed that like half the cars i look at have had there clutches replaced. Are the stock clutches on these cars garbage? I talked to a guy today about one and he said he also puts about 1/4 or a quart of oil in it about every 2 weeks which seemed pretty high to me but he swore its common for the early years. Anything else i should look for? Thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Muggus,

Thanks for checking out the S2Ki website. Your request is valid, but as an S2K owner, I would recommend you do some (a lot) research to see what model year will suit you best.

For example: 99-01 had the older style Clutch Pressure plate, which was upgraded to a heavier plate for 02s and on. The earlier S2Ks (01 and below) had the plastic back window on the convertibles. Also the 02 and on had door tweeters and silver door trims. These are just a few changes that Honda did, others you can find through your research.

Much success,
EagleDon
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM

I did a little more research and found a fairly long list of tsb's. One saying that the car can consume up to a quart of oil every 1000 miles if driving at high rpms, thats a lot of oil. Also saying that the clutch disc itself has weak springs and causes a buzzing noise. Maybe ill get lucky and find a nice 02 in my price range.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My 02 consumes a lot of oil, moreso now that it's getting higher in mileage.

Clutch is still stock and working fine at 133k. I do get the clutch buzz every so often even though mine is an 02 where it was supposedly resolved.

Timing Chain Tensioner rattling is a common problem. Pretty simple to fix though (remove, sandblast the wormgear, reassemble and reinsert).

All in all, I feel that the car has been very trouble free.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Dont let the clutch buzz scare you away from a good deal, in fact use it in bargaining if you can. its not that bad, im going on my second clutch buzz mobile and it never bothered me, get a good exhaust and you'll forget it has it! My point is 3-5k price difference isn't worth not having buzz
Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ yeah i agree i bought my 01 ap1 last may and it was only 10,8000 with 58,xxx miles on it no problems other than clutch buzz i consider it a steal
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Common S2k Problems

That link should give you a lot of information
Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 AM

If you go with an AP1 (00-03) I would recommend going with an 02-03 just for the glass rear window.

Personally I prefer the AP2 (04-09) for the larger wheels, modern headlights, revised front and rear bumpers and revised engine.

As far as problems go, the AP2 are pretty bulletproof. There really aren't any major mechanical concerns. The tops can develop small tears over time which can be patched (or the whole top replaced which is about $1200 at the dealer (which would be the highest price possible).

I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying the S2000 is likely the most reliable sports car money can buy. The UK BBC's Top Gear car show ran a survey for three years on overall driver satisfaction (they actually verified driver records to ensure survey participants owned the car). This survey became the largest ever survey of this type. S2000 was number 1 all three years.

Really the only downside is if you're really picky like me it may take you a few months to find the right s2000...but it will be worth it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM

The best advice is wait for a clean '02/'03 to come along if you are on a tight budget. They really aren't priced much higher than '00/'01's especially in the winter and the upgrades on the 2002 are well worth waiting for!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kryptyde
... (or the whole top replaced which is about $1200 at the dealer (which would be the highest price possible).

This is laughably incorrect. As you can see over at Majestic Honda (Majestic Honda), the list price on a new "CLOTH ASSY., TOP (GLASS)(BLACK)" is $1138.33 WITHOUT labor. Considering that you basically have to gut the interior to replace the top, it is likely at least a 6-8 hour job. A full top replacement will run you over $2000 at a minimum.

Quick Reply: Common s2k problems