S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Comptech Cold Air Intake

Old 07-10-2002, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech Cold Air Intake

I just got my Comptech Cold Air Intake installed on my car about a week ago. I think it does improve performance by a little but what it does the best it not let the car bog in the extreme heat. The car seems to always go now in no matter what temperature it is. I haven't done any tests on the car yet. I do plan on seeing how much HP I really do gain. It only makes the car sound a little louder which I like since my exhaust is really loud. I am wondering what other owners of this intake think? Also if anyone has any questions for me I would be happy to answer then if I can? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx for the info, mmnicu-

did you install it yourself? how hard was it, if so?
did you get that little "ding/ scratch" on the cf cover when you shut the hood down?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:10 AM

Kibro mentioned the exact same characteristics after putting his Comptech CAI on. I guess it must be true.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:48 PM

any others using comptech cai?

i'm thinking of getting one, but those questions i asked above are still making me paranoid...

"did you install it yourself? how hard was it, if so?
did you get that little "ding/ scratch" on the cf cover when you shut the hood down?"

anyone?
Old 07-10-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by seung
any others using comptech cai?

i'm thinking of getting one, but those questions i asked above are still making me paranoid...

"did you install it yourself? how hard was it, if so?
did you get that little "ding/ scratch" on the cf cover when you shut the hood down?"

anyone?
I installed it myself. It was very straight-forward. You can read the instructions on the Comptech site before you purchase.

Only correction I would make to their instructions is that on the 2002 model, the horn plug needs to be angled back more (as opposed to straight up) so that the airbox will sit flat.

Ensure you have the tools required - I believe this is on the instructions.

Take your time and it will go very smoothly.

No dings or scratches for me. I also followed the advice to put foam over the hood support rod opening - makes a big difference in low RPM resonation.

I highly recommend the kit. Obviously I don't have any others to compare it to, but I really like it.

-YS
Old 07-10-2002, 05:37 PM

I to have the Comptech CAI. Its an ok system. I noticed minimal gains. I also used to have the AEM CAI and I noticed my car felt stronger in 1, 2, and 3 gears, not so with the Comptech(more power with the Comptech at higher speeds). I may even be selling it for the Spoon CAI add on, since I am going full Spoon.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by JDMs2000
I to have the Comptech CAI. Its an ok system. I noticed minimal gains. I also used to have the AEM CAI and I noticed my car felt stronger in 1, 2, and 3 gears, not so with the Comptech(more power with the Comptech at higher speeds). I may even be selling it for the Spoon CAI add on, since I am going full Spoon.
My butt isn't sensitive enough to notice the HP gains that *any* CAI is going to provide....I guess I'll have to get a supercharger

-YS
Old 07-10-2002, 08:49 PM

I also have the Comptech CAI. A friend who's a service tech at a local Honda dealership helped me install it. The car does seem to feel stronger at higher RPMs. I can't really feel much difference below VTEC engagement (maybe a little more throttle response), but this is all based on the butt dyno. The fit is good, although we did have to to dremel out the opening in the carbon fiber cover to make the hood support rod fit properly. Oh, it sounds really good..... I'm happy with it.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:14 AM

seung, I did not install it myself but I do get the ding/scratch on the cover. The People at comptech told me to put the soft side of velcro on the hood to prevent scratching. I did it and it kind of works. Not the best fix but getting better.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:45 AM

I have the comptech CAI as well. I really like it. I have the same problem with the cover, so I bought an extra cover for shows and meets. You should use felt and keep a heathly coat of wax on it. I think i'm going to make a pad that will cover the opening on the top of the box to help with the wear and also the sound a little.

Quick Reply: Comptech Cold Air Intake