S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The consequences of VTECing too much?

Old 08-13-2002, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose it's something like drinking too much. You have to find your balance between having fun and brain damage (or liver disease down the road). Sounds like a couple drinks a day won't hurt one bit.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piston speed determines longevity. Keep it under redline at all times. The use of a high quality synthetic such as Neo will give you the lowest friction and heat reduction qualities. If you spun a bearing you either have a machining issue or bad lubrication. The question is whether you want 100,000 or 500,000 miles of engine life. To have fun, you must be reasonable but sometimes you just 'gotta thrash it!
Old 08-13-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by QPhox4
My mom said if you VTEC too much, you'll go blind.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day
Old 08-14-2002, 05:23 AM

Bah, I had a 99 SI before my S, and it saw V-Tech every time the road opened up in front of me, and on way home from work ( only about 10 miles on spreeway) it saw nothing but v-tech, had probs with it, but they where from a bad ECU and OBD II, electronic probs not mechanical. My S is not much different, if I get the chance she gets opened up, and the ride home from work is a blast now compared to my SI, gave up my SI with 43K miles on it, my S, only had it just short of 60 days, and got 5k miles on it I cant stop driving

V8-What?
Old 08-14-2002, 05:25 AM

I drive kinda hard, and i auto-x, if probs can show up from over use of V-Tec I will find out the hard way, but I'll be
Old 08-14-2002, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chipperman
[B]Piston speed determines longevity. Keep it under redline at all times. The use of a high quality synthetic such as Neo will give you the lowest friction and heat reduction qualities. If you spun a bearing you either have a machining issue or bad lubrication. The question is whether you want 100,000 or 500,000 miles of engine life.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:41 AM

This engine is probably easier to damage at low revs than when VTEC'n, as it can result in very high BMEP(combustion pressures) that can cause detonation and cock these minimally-skirted pistons hard against the cylinder walls(they are designed for high-revs). I never floor it below about 4,000 RPM's.
VTEC'ing is simply switching form one cam profile to the other. The engine would be perfectly happy if it were driven in VTEC mode full-time(the 4th cylinder design flaw notwithstanding). It is not intrinsically abusive of the engine, the engine simply breathes more effeciently when at higher revs with the VTEC cam profile. The de-tuned cam lets the engine develop reasonable torque and run smoothly at low revs, but there is no reason to keep it there.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I think alot of it has 2 do with overall driving style. If u take the car to the track and are in a situation where u are punching it repeatedly and always at hi rpm's cause lets face it were racing thats one thing. I don't think any motor will live as long a life that way. Its just simple wear and tear common sense.
If on the other hand you are talking about doing that kind of driving on the street often, you will probably wreck the car b4 you wear it out.
If you are somewhat relaxed and u vtec the motor many times when you accellerate but relax when u get up to speed and hyway it you shouldn't have any issues with long life for both you and your car
Old 08-14-2002, 10:12 AM

VTECing too much will cause hair to grow on the palms of your hands.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Palmateer
VTECing too much will cause hair to grow on the palms of your hands.
That's nasty.

If you properly maintain your car, there's no reason what so ever to assume that driving the car aggressively will hurt the car.

There are plenty of very high mileage NSX's out there that run very strong even at 150K + miles on them. There are plenty more Integra GS-R, Type R and Civic Si's out there as well.

Don't mis shifts, Don't over rev, watch your oil, watch your temp's. You'll be fine.

Will you get 1,000,000 on your engine like you could on a garden variety Civic driven by some old lady who maintains the car as well as you do but never gets the car over 55mph or the rev's above 3K, NO. But then, as another poster above said: "what the hell is the point?"

Quick Reply: The consequences of VTECing too much?