S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering buying a Honda S2000

Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a Honda S2000

Hello all. This is my first post and I won't get carried away too much, but I come with not too much driving experience or even car experience being a 19 year old kid. I've always had a fascination with cars and have had a few pretty cool cars (350z, 370z, Volvo S60R).

Lately I've been on the hunt for a new car. Something I can drive to school and work (not far at all) and a ton of canyon driving, freeway driving and just casual cruising on some lovely Arizona back roads. I absolutely hate the idea of heavy, straight line speed cars and have been searching for something small, light, good handling and decently quick. I've really narrowed it down and the Honda S2000 seems the most appealing given the weight, sharp handling and relatively cheap cost of ownership. This being said I've never actually driven one and I don't see many of them out this way. I've watched countless videos and read many posts on here and am fairly confident this is the car I want. I would ideally like to spend 10-12k, but for the right car wouldn't mind going up to 15k for one. I don't mind doing a lot of maintenance myself and take excellent care of my vehicles.

Now I just have one main question as I've done as much research on cost of ownership, common issues, etc.
That question would be just how good stock is it comparable to that of other cars such as RX-8s 350z, Miata, Z4, BRZ/FRS, etc? I really stress that I want a fantastic handling car that I can push on autocross, track events, canyons, etc. Driving responsibly, of course. Obviously I'd add some suspension work, good tires, etc down the line, but I want to know how this car compares to all those other cars and more that I listed. I know the simple answer would be to drive all of them, but it's nearly impossible to get my hands on any one to drive seeing as not many people I know have cars like that. And I've tried to use Turo, but I don't believe I'm of age to rent a car yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know there are probably other posts similar to this, but I just figured this might be different given what I'm looking for out of an S2000 and that I've unfortunately never driven one. Also pardon me if this is the wrong section, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

If anyone has any opinions or thoughts to share on this or other S2000 ownership advice that would be fantastic if you can share that with me.

Thanks, Luc.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:46 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

$15K might get you a high mileage S2000 that needs work. You'll be closer to $20K when you clean it up and it'll still be high mileage. $22K seems to be the typical price for the better examples. These cars have an earned reputation for snap oversteer that Honda tamed with modifications every two years. The early cars can be driven fast but ya gotta know what you're doing. Handling at the limits for all years is much different from the FWD cars we've been subjected to the past couple decades. Little bit of water or oil on the road plus too much speed and the car can change ends on you. Lift off the gas in a tight curve you went into too fast and the rear end will come out. Guys are wrecking these cars weekly according to posts here and we only represent a small minority of S2000 owners.

Will your parents park one of their cars in the street or drive so you can have the garage? Non-secured roadsters are theft magnets as everyone has a master key (AKA box cutter). I'd not consider any rag top car unless I could park it in a secure place.

I can't recommend a S2000 for a high schooler not old enough to rent a car. The BRZ, on the other hand is still RWD and a closed coupe and will be good for a couple of years. There will still be plenty of S2000s available later if you still want one.

-- Chuck
Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
$15K might get you a high mileage S2000 that needs work. You'll be closer to $20K when you clean it up and it'll still be high mileage. $22K seems to be the typical price for the better examples. These cars have an earned reputation for snap oversteer that Honda tamed with modifications every two years. The early cars can be driven fast but ya gotta know what you're doing. Handling at the limits for all years is much different from the FWD cars we've been subjected to the past couple decades. Little bit of water or oil on the road plus too much speed and the car can change ends on you. Lift off the gas in a tight curve you went into too fast and the rear end will come out. Guys are wrecking these cars weekly according to posts here and we only represent a small minority of S2000 owners.

Will your parents park one of their cars in the street or drive so you can have the garage? Non-secured roadsters are theft magnets as everyone has a master key (AKA box cutter). I'd not consider any rag top car unless I could park it in a secure place.

I can't recommend a S2000 for a high schooler not old enough to rent a car. The BRZ, on the other hand is still RWD and a closed coupe and will be good for a couple of years. There will still be plenty of S2000s available later if you still want one.

-- Chuck
Thanks for the input, Chuck. Looking around Craigslists and other various car websites it seems that for around 15k I can get a "decent" S2K. By that I mean a well taken care of one with 80-120k miles, or so.

What else other than a BRZ would you recommend? I don't really like those cars and they're far too common.

Also a side note - I'm actually in college and live by myself (parents funded, very fortunate) and have a pretty well paying job that would easily take care of any money towards the car, insurance, gas, etc on top of paying for non-fun related things
Old 08-24-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

One good way to get a test drive is to scan CarMax, have a car you're interested in shipped to the local dealership for free if possible, and then drive it.

Stock the S2000 is perfect imo - it doesn't need mods to make it fun, which is one of the great things about it. Of course, you can pretty easily bolt things in if you want to.

An RX-8 manual might be a good car for college as they are cheap, just be mindful of the rotary engine and compression and maintenance. They are considered the S2000 "sedan" since they are similar handling cars.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long story short...the s2000 is better than all the car you mentioned in my opinion. All things considered it beats them in performance, maintenance, aftermarket parts, etc. The only issues you will run into are:

1. you need a garage, these things are theft magnets
2. a 2 seater might limit you somewhat depending on what you need to do
3. if you don't like or grow tire of the convertible, you may want to get a hardtop

If you can get past these issues, I wouldn't waste my time with the other cars, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I've seen several ads lately that look good for around $15k. I agree that you should have a garage to park it in, or a hardtop though. For age 19, those are some good cars you've owned already. A 350z, 370z and Volvo s60. That's short time to go through all of them. I had an '84 300zx when I was your age and thought it was great at the time. I only got rid of it because it was unreliable and rusty. I would have loved to have a 370Z back then. You young people have a lot of good cars to choose from these days.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Parking on campus or at an apartment seems to be a common theft/damage location for convertibles. You roof will get slashed just to see what's inside the car. We've all heard car alarms going off. Anyone ever seen anyone do anything about it? Not me.

The BRZ was mentioned in the original message. They do drive well at the limits and appear to be reliable, something especially important in an only-car. Sometimes a "common car" will keep you out of trouble and they respond well to good tires. Not a drag car but neither is the S2000.

Despite being a slow learner who's owned at least three 2-seat roadsters as daily drivers I can't recommend them. Mine is a summer weekend car.

-- Chuck
Old 08-24-2017, 11:22 AM

If you're at the ASU Polytechnic campus we could meet up and I could tell you all about how amazing of a car it is. I bought mine last year when I was 19 and have loved every single day with it.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rizzonf
If you're at the ASU Polytechnic campus we could meet up and I could tell you all about how amazing of a car it is. I bought mine last year when I was 19 and have loved every single day with it.
I live near ASU in Tempe, but I make constant trips out to Mesa/Gilbert area. I'd love to talk to an owner first hand to hear your thoughts on the car!

And thanks to all the above posts. I do not mind only having 2 seats at all (hence 2 of my previous cars). Convertibles in AZ seem like a good idea for the upcoming winter here and cruising. I do hear you all on the thief magnets though. Luckily I have paid parking right next to multiple security cameras for both school and where I live so I'm not *too* concerned, but it's absolutely something to take into account.

And to the above comment regarding the cars I've owned - there was nothing wrong with any of them. Saved up for a 350z for years, traded it in for a 370z, realized insurance for a 19 year old male with a few tickets would be way too insane and downgraded to a 6 speed S60R that has a lot of small issues and is quite annoying. My heart is with Japanese engineering and honestly regret getting the Volvo. Just thought of it as really cool and unique. And for whatever reason insurance for a S2000 is a lot cheaper than most other cars I've checked into.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
1. you need a garage, these things are theft magnets
FYI:

THEFT RATES FOR THE S2000

Year.......... Make......... Model........ Thefts........ Production........ Rate
2000 ........Honda ........S2000............ 5.............. 9206................. 0.5431
2001........ Honda........ S2000........... 23............. 9945................. 2.3127
2002.........Honda.........S2000............17.... .........10049.................1.6917
2003.........Honda.........S2000............24.... ...........7862.................3.0527
2004.........Honda.........S2000............11.... ............7511................1.4645
2005.........Honda.........S2000............32.... ............8921................3.5870
2009.........Honda.........S2000..............2... ...............357................5.6022

Not sure why I cannot find 2006-2008

Quick Reply: Considering buying a Honda S2000