S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering selling M3 vert for S2000...

Old 09-29-2005, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering selling M3 vert for S2000...

I have a couple different questions as I am a total newbie to Honda's, I've had 6 M3's over the last 8 or 9 years. I am thinking about selling my 98 M3 convertible and getting a used S2000 and a cheaper kid hauler, of course this may change is I find a nice deal on a used M roadster but I have always liked the S2k.
-Are any years better than others or should I just try to buy the newest S2000 I can find in my budget?
-What specific problems should I look for on these cars when checking one out?
-About how much more power can you get with simple bolt ons like intake, exhaust, and software on these cars?

Thanks for any advice as I am seriously considering buying one of these, I would have sooner if I had known how cheap they are.
Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-29-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a lot of M3s you've been through!

I've only owned 3. I think you'll find the S2000 a lot of fun to drive. I owned a '95 E36 M3 and it was a rock solid car. The S2000 certainly feels like more of a race car each time you get into it. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your mood.

I've owned some Honda motorcycles (CBRs) and the S2000 is my first Honda car. It's been 100% trouble-free. Oil changes are cheap too. The dealership treats me great. Can't complain at all about anything .... other than one thing....

If you care about the badge on your car / or if you're just a huge BMW fan .. you might not feel as good in the Honda. It's a better car than an M Roadster. Better chassis, better suspension. The engines are a lot different, but if you're going for the F1 fantasy, the S2000 is more fun. The engine just revs and screams. If you're looking to cruise with the roundel on your car - or if you're going stoplight to stoplight, the M may be more to your liking. The S2000 community seems friendly enough, but it's not a big organization like BMWCCA. I personally miss attending BMWCCA events with an M Car. The BMW group has a wider demographic too. I think a lot of the group gatherings of S2000 owners are geared towards people in their 20s. That's not a bad thing ... unless that's not your scene.

As for which S2000 to buy - that is opening a huge can of worms. Some people prefer the older (pre-2003) engine for the extra couple of hundred revs. Others prefer the newer cars (2004-present) for the extra low end grunt. I think everyone would advise on a 2002 or later car though because they have a glass rear window. The plastic ones are just not as nice (although they are bigger).

I'd suggest getting the newest one you can afford. And buy it from someone who looks respectable / mature. Some of these cars can have a tough life of abuse. If it's some middle-aged guy's weekend toy -- that would likely be a good choice.

Good luck. I love the S2000, but I suspect I'll go back to BMW or Porsche with my next sports car purchase. I think those cars are overpriced compared to what the S2000 gives you, but the extra $ might be worth it club events are important to you.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, good input all around. I am a long time BMWCCA member and would continue it even with a non-BMW sports car. I am more into it for the driving experience than the brand but I have gotten so used to what I can do with the M3's that it will be different driving the S2k with half the torque on tap.
I think the BMWCCA brings allot to the enjoyment of owning the BMW's as it gets us special treatment at all kinds of motoring events, discounts on everything including cars to the tune of thousands of dollars, and the very nice BMW club racing scene if you are into it as I am. I work for a BMW racing team in Speed World Challenge so it is a big decision but I am wanting something a little less expensive and fun in a higher revving way. I've gone through my "mod the crap out of the car" phase a few years ago with some really tweeked M3's including one with a 350hp/tq turbo kit, I keep my cars a little closer to stock and would enjoy getting a little better gas mileage.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 PM

I just sold my '02 E46 M3 last month - a wonderful car - but I am shocked as to how much I enjoy the S2K more and more everyday. I purchased an '04 and couldn't be happier - because of the low torque it drives much different than an M - and while its probably a second slower to 60, the rigid chasis and the precision at which you can take turns makes it a joy to drive each and everyday. I purchased this as my daily driver (looking to get an NSX also) - and in a year or two I'll probably be in an M5. But for now, I highly recommend the car, like I said I honestly am enjoying this car way more than I had ever planned - it really is that amazing and fun of a car. And I love the bumpers/wheels/engine of the '04. Best of luck!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got out of my S for a M, but I made the move because I needed more space and didn't want to give up much performance. The M has some advantages over the S, but you just can't beat the nimble handling the S has - I miss that.

I had a 2001 S2000 and if I were going to go back, I might stick with the 2001 again (I like the bigger rear window). I definitely prefer the AP1 to the AP2.

Modding the S is much like modding the M - except cheaper. You're not going to get much power out of the S unless you go FI. Suspension-wise, the S is fantastic out of the box. In fact, the S spoiled me to the point where I thought the stock E46 M3 suspension was crap (first thing I changed and am still messing with it).

The S2000 will grow and grow on you, and is an easier car to drive IMO so you can push your limits more comfortably.

Unlike BMW's there really aren't a whole bunch of things to look for in the S - nothing more than any other car. You can check things like shock leakage, 2nd gear grinding, a worn clutch, but most of the major problems are covered under Honda TSB's - so buy one with warranty
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Get a low mileage,well maintained car,and you should not have any problems.!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

S54 Mcoupe DO IT!

It's really just preference at the end of the day, I considered selling my M3/4 to get into a S2000 and after test driving a few it was just too small and I missed the low end torque and luxury. The S handles better and the convertible is fun but the M3 sedan is too versatile for me to give up.

That and the gf drives a S2000 so I can have fun in hers whenever I want. You'll also have to consider insurance/gas etc on two cars instead of just 1 if you get a S and a beater accord/suv etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Former Moderator

I think insurance on the S is cheaper, especially with a multi-car discount. I think madsedan is also above the "rape the young person" insurance rates so that might not be too much of an issue.

Cosmos - you just hate to see anyone get rid of a M
Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 PM

One thought. You stated that you were looking for a kid hauler. I have a 3 series (not an M) and a 2004 S. The BMW is a more solid safer car, especially in bad weather. The S is very secure for it's size, but the BMW has a lot more safety equipment. The passenger airbag in the S can not be turned off, so hauling small kids is a non option.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 PM

On the track, the closest thing to the S2000 in the BMW lineup is M Coupe with the S52 engine. In the hands of good drivers, these cars are almost twins. That may give you a data point.

Quick Reply: Considering selling M3 vert for S2000...