S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering selling my '04

Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering selling my '04

This is a really hard thing to go about doing. This is the car that fulfilled a dream of mine as a kid - the sports car I always wanted. But for the past three years, I could count the number of times I've driven it on my fingers. I only really take it to work, the occasional date night with my wife, etc. I just don't use it like I once did and that's not fair to the car (that sounds weird) or to me, makes me feel bad seeing it just sit there. I've driven it twice this year and it's, begging to be driven. I just don't drive it enough and I'm always a bit nervous when I do for fear that it will have a fender bender or get a dent.

I haven't made my mind up fully on the sale of it, but wanted to put it out here to see what everyone thinks a realistic number would be to ask for it in Southern New England. Here's the particulars:

From a local car show last October.

38,500-ish miles
Berlina black
black interior
original top is perfect
2nd owner, bought from Car Max in 2010
100% stock, no mods at all
Garaged 365 days a year, covered during winter months
Driven from mid-May to the end of October
Driven in the rain twice in my ownership
Interior is perfect save for a very slight scuff on the dashboard that was there when I bought it
Two stone chips in the windshield, both sealed
Light curb rash on the passenger side front wheel that was there when I bought it
Small scratch on the hood from where one of my kid's bike handlebars scraped it
Some small stone chips on the front spoiler/lower front bumper from typical use
Never raced, never tracked, never dynoed
Car drives perfectly, no issues whatsoever
I have not had it CarFaxed
Has all manuals, keys, etc. that it had when it was new

I was thinking $20k. Is that a reasonable number or am I too high? Or too low? If there's something obvious that I forgot, please let me know and I will get that info in ASAP.

Thanks for helping me out everyone.
-Mike
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I know what you mean. I owned a show winning 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T for 17 years that was much the same. I drove it less and less each year and it got to become more of a chore to own especially with paying for a storage garage. I think sometimes you have just owned something long enough and it is time to pass it on to someone who will enjoy it at least as much as you have. It is no fun watching it drive off forever, but the bad feeling is short lived when you now realize you have some extra cash to put into something else. I can't lie and say I don't miss the car to this day (three years ago) because I do.

I think you are spot on with pricing on this one. I watch bringatrailer.com quite a bit just to see where the market is. It's going to take a special person to pay that much, mind you, but I don't feel like it is too much considering the condition, mileage and history ESPECIALLY being unmolested. Most people are going to see that the car was treated well and take notice. A couple of chips here and there are certainly acceptable in my eyes. Black on black seems to be desirable.

Just one car guy's view.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 07-13-2018 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chilihook (07-19-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I paid 17.5 for mine in the fall of 2016. It was a 4 owner car and had 57k. It was in very good condition.
Sounds like yours is in mint condition apart from very small blemishes of which many are repairable.
I'd ask 22k for it and you shouldn't have to come down much if any.
chilihook (07-19-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I paid $21,500 for a 2005 GPW/Tan last year — all stock, all original (with the exception of the tires which had been replaced with like units), and minty. The previous owner did have a clear protective bra installed, there was some very light rash on a couple of the wheels and the typical scraping on the bottom edge of the front bumper. The car had just over 24K miles and two owners (the second since 2006) and records show that it was regularly maintained (oil changes done annually) at the owner's local Honda dealer. I only replaced the original battery and the fluids for peace of mind. I paid the full asking price for the car and still feel like I got a good deal. I don't know your local market all that well as I'm located on the other side of the country but you'll likely find a buyer for it at that price. Keep in mind that these cars bottomed out on the used market a while ago and that most buyers are likely going to want to pay less than your asking price. Given that your car is stock and all original you'll have a much easier time finding buyers for it who will be willing to pay a premium for it. It would actually be just as helpful to see detailed photos of the flaws in your car in order to come up with a consensus on pricing. Based on the one photo you've shared I wouldn't ask any less than $20k if it was my car and would actually list it for a bit more.
chilihook (07-19-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Better stop thinking about it and advertise it for $22K. Snow will be here -- or where you are, anyway -- just a couple months after the leaves turn and the market for roadsters will dry up.

Cars sell here all the time. Much wider audience than the local Craig's List.

-- Chuck
chilihook (07-19-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:16 PM

Here’s a pic of the scrape on the hood as well as the rim with the rash. It doesn’t look like curb rash, looks more like someone tries to put wheels weights on the outside of the rim 8-/.

Scratch is right under the camera in the pic.

Wheel weights, right?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:51 PM

I've owned one car that I rarely drive, a numbers matching 69 vette convertible. I thought I would miss it but didn't really. I loved the concept of the having the car but won't have another old car or car I won't drive unless I ever win the lottery (which I don't even play) and can afford to have 10 cars. I didn't feel too bad when the car was taken away by the owner as it gave me the budget for a new toy. The one car I truly miss out of about 20 is the 330 I had with the performance package.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Based on my search last year I think $20K is dead on, I would not go much lower then that. I think $22K is too high, but the market may have gone up a little.
chilihook (07-19-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

BTW - rashed wheels and a few little nicks and scratches should not affect the value of this car. I'd expect any used car to have wheel rash and some nicks...
BUT - If I were selling a car that had wheel rash I'd get it fixed first. I pay $50 a wheel and they look brand new once repaired.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I have to agree with Maxcat. When I sold my last Turbo Regal that I had owned it was sad but also a relief. I owned it for 17years and paid 75 a month to store it. That's a lot over the years. It got older and needed some work. I wanted to simplify a bit and I sold it to a TR enthusiast who would take care of it. Those funds allowed me to get an S2000 and put some in savings. I still miss it from time to time because it was my identity as a local car guy but people forget fast.

Quick Reply: Considering selling my '04