S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Could it be the tires (causing the crashes)???

Old 11-21-2001, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most of you. Knowing how to "properly and safely" drive a rwd auto takes practice, practice, practice..... So, practice somewhere it is safe, like a track or empty parking lot.
Also, I recently switched my rear tires from the S02's to Michelin Pilot Sport. The first thing that I noticed is, now I have a warning when the back end is about to break loose. The Pilots start to slide as I am approaching the cornering limits of the S. With the S02's, there was very little warning. When cornering with the S02's, they grip so well that there was no warning that the back end was going to break loose, just "SNAP" and the rear was coming around! With the Pilots, I can "feel" the back end starting to slide and this gives me the opportunity to make a decision. Keep on the gas and let it break loose or back off the gas and let the rear stay planted. The Pilots definetly have less traction in a corner than the S02's, but I feel "safer" now that I have this warning!
That is my $.02.
Keep it safe and have a great holiday season!
Old 11-21-2001, 08:24 AM

My perspective is a little different. I think the OEM SO2s give a great deal of feedback. You just have to pay attention to what they are telling you. Granted, the indicators are a little more subtle than you might get from a Michelin, but they are still there. For me, this car requires concentration and effort at all times. I have never had the car spin on me, but I have surely had the back end drift around corners. Much fun.

That said, I fall into the under 40 crowd, but I grew up driving RWD cars. Perhaps this does make a difference.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:37 AM

No BUT...
The tires have significant compromises in design choice that might make it more likely that you'll have an accident. IMHO, In the interest of absolute lateral grip, they've been engineered in a way that provides less than optimal feedback at the limit (like virtually none) and less than optimal wet weather utility. They also wear ridiculously fast so that you may be surprised to learn when they are bald on the inside half. It may also be true that Honda tried to tame oversteer with a rear tire that is not wide enough.

Many who have tried other tires like myself believe that you can have competitive grip and performance without these compromises. People who've never tried other tires can't really know about this. Unfortunately, a few of these are absolutists who don't think that both driver and tires can affect whether you wreck.

Here's the text of a message I sent to those in my Fall Colors driving group that, I think, sums it up:

"The serious part: There is a certain psychology that occurs during single-brand events. Many assume that each car/driver is just as fast as every other one. Often this leads to an accident. Even though the cars are all the same, many factors influence absolute speed. Driver skill is only one. Accumulated miles, tires, trunk loads, air pressure, alignment, weather, course familiarity, driving line, and gear choice can all make a difference. Please don't overdrive your car under the prevailing conditions. We're communing, not racing. Avoid "red mist"!"

Have fun, be careful, and (when the S0-2s go) don't be afraid to experiment. If you do wreck, learn from your mistakes but don't feel like you need to do any pennance. You haven't sinned.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CoralDoc
No.

The CAUSE of any accident (not involving a mechanical failure or impact from another vehicle) is the driver failing to make the correct inputs to the car. I find the S2000 to be an extremely capable car in the dry and just fine in the wet. Just slow down when conditions are not optimal. Invest in some driver training! I find it astounding that people will spend thousands of dollars on replacing parts looking for improved "performance" when much greater improvement can be obtained from investing a few hundred dollars in yourself. Drive on an autocross course in the rain and find out just how much traction there is when the road is wet. Go out on the track to see just how amazing the lateral dry grip is from the OEM SO2s. Get your speed fix that way, then go out on the road and slow down!
Very well put.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:47 AM

The S2000 seems like a kitten to me...but then again, I learned how to drive a RWD vehicle on a front-heavy '98 Mustang Cobra with 300 pounds/foot of torque. That son-of-a-bitch oversteered to the point where it was fun...but dangerous.

The S2000 is a bad, bad, BAD first RWD car for someone, in my opinion. At first, it seems as though it can handle anything, at any speed. But when it bites (read: oversteers) for the first time with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel...well, you know what happens.

Here are my rules-of-thumb that I always try to follow to avoid accidents while performance driving:

1. Never, ever push the car or VTEC while it's raining or wet outside for any reason.
2. Never push the car in turns on roads you've never travelled before.
3. Never, ever shift while in a turn.
4. Never, ever push the car or VTEC with cold or worn tires.
5. Never, ever powershift the transmission.

If you follow the above rules, you may never experience the S2000 in an oversteer situation. 'Cause when the S2000 oversteers (likely at high speed considering its capabilities), it may be the last turn you ever take.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:52 AM

One more thing...leave the S2000 home if your tires are worn and it's raining outside. If you frequently drive the S2000 in the rain, invest in a set of Dunlop SP-9000's, which are arguably the best performance tire for wet weather (I had them on my Cobra).

The S-02's are a summer performance tire, in my opinion. I leave my S2000 at home while it's raining outside. Once again, get the S-02's off the car ASAP if you frequently drive the vehicle in the rain.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Tox
I get the idea that the members of this board can be placed in two groups:

1. The relatively young, say, under 40, learned to drive with fwd cars, and

2. The relatively old, 40 and up, who learned to drive with rwd.

I'm 34 and my first driving experience was when I was 15 and I totalled my family's '82 Toyota Supra (RWD) when I made contact with a gaurdrail @ 70MPH. The conditions sucked (wet & cold), I had almost no driving experience at all, and when things started happeneing (oversteer) I screwed up and the rest is history. Since then I've driven mainly FWD but did do 4 years in a '79 Pontiac Grand Prix, RWD, so I do have a fair amount of RWD experience, 4 years worth anyway.

I learned my lesson the hard way about RWD handing as many members of this site are doing now. I've also never had an accident since then.

It's a shame that learning about how a RWD car handles in the wet and cold comes at the price of the car you learn on.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:28 AM

Like Cthree, I'd fall into the group 1 1/2. under 40 but my initial learning experience and first car were both in RWD cars, a 78 Buick and a 73 Plymouth. Both with lots of torque and power and RWD. I even drove my duster in the snow . My first 7 years of driving were in RWD..i just needed a reminder when I got int the S2000, but have loved it ever since!

Anyways, RWD experience will help many improve their skills. There is an entire generation out on the road that has NEVER driven RWD as the auto manufacturers basically stopped building them for mainstream cars. The S2000 with teh S02's is a wonderful handling car, but the driver needs to learn its and his/her limits.

Conclusion- tires are part of the car but Driver is primary variable and likely the cause of 99% of these accidents.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's so much good advice in this thread. There are an awful lot of very young owners on the U.S. Boards in particular. You won't find any 18 year olds at all, on the U.K .board we have a few that we know of in their early 20's, but they are very few.

ANYONE can stuff this car at anytime. It's a great car but realise it's primarily a sports car to be enjoyed in fair weather. It is far from ideal winter transport. With a little common sense you can drive it on the stock S0'2's on all but snow and ice, but you need to do everything a little more smoothly and when in doubt a little more slowly. Mashing the gas pedal mid bend on wet or cold roads with cold tyres will spin you quicker than anything. Remember that the yoyo who comes pissing past you in the wet in his low powered front wheel drive hatch is driving a far more forgiving car than you are. It don't matter one jot . Let it go.

We've all been your age and as cthree said it's a pity if you have to have the experience of a smash to learn lessons that can be learned less painfully. Even if your S2000 can be mended, you wont feel quite the same about it!

Winters coming and we don't want to read too many horror stories.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:38 AM

Tox mentioned that you could separate us into 2 crowds, those with RWD experience over 40 and those with FWD experience under 40. I think you can say that those guys (like me) that have extensively played realistic racing simulation/games using RWD cars are much better prepared for the S2000. Granted, I don't remember ever spinning out due to shifting in the middle of a turn in a racing game, but because of these racing games, I sure do have an inherent respect/fear of upsetting the balance of a RWD car due to torque changes/weight transfer.

Bottom line, play more racing games and u live longer!

"Get a life Steve!"

"Whatever punk."

Quick Reply: Could it be the tires (causing the crashes)???