S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cross Country Trip?

Old 12-29-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Country Trip?

I currently live in Chicago, but within the next couple months, I might be transferring to San Diego.
As it becomes more realistic, I'm deciding if I should ship my S or drive it.
My T1R exhaust might become a little too much after 30 something hours of driving by myself.

Any stories?

Thanks
Brendan
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 AM

Personally i think i would ship it,don't think i can stay in a car for more then 10 hours.I've read on these boards that many people have gone cross country in the S.I guess it all depends on you....
Old 12-29-2005, 06:42 AM

I live in Texas and flew to California a drove the S all the way home. Of course I stopped off in Las Vegas for 2 days and in New Mexcio.. I also had 1 other drive he didn't' do very much driving. All I can say is that it was one LONG trip and good luck getting comfortable, ( maybe some ear muffs ought to do the trick.)
Old 12-29-2005, 07:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done a couple long road trips (San Diego to Oklahoma, and San Diego to New Orleans). Both were great and I look forward to another one soon. Just make some stops on the way and see what there is to see.

However if you are also MOVING at the same time, there will be serious space issues in the car. Unless you are shipping everything else it will be pretty cramped quarters in the S.

As others have said, it depends on the kind of person you are (read.....you gotta be a little hardcore to pull this off).

Good luck in SoCal.

-Hockey
Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 AM

i would uhaul it and tow it myself...i made a 30hr trip in a civic, and that was bad enough...i love my s2k, but the road noise and harshness would get to me over 30hrs....
Old 12-29-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I've done 300 mile stretches and it was a little arduous. If you
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Seattle to Detroit and back. 34 to 32 hours each way. 2 drivers. Loved it!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:03 AM

When we moved from Santa Fe to here in Florida last September, we had a moving company deal with all our stuff, including our Subaru Forester, and we got in the S and drove here, top down all the way, about 2200 miles in three days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat -- and I turn 56 this weekend.

From Chicago to San Diego in February or March, though, you'll want to head south first, I think, to at least Interstate 40 before heading west. Also, I'd recommend some earplugs and some sort of lumbar support behind the lower part of the seat-back cushion.

IMO, people who talk about how the S is uncomfortable, harsh, or too small need to trade theirs in for a Buick or something like that. HPH
Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 AM

Hey, if you're 56 and can do it, the I, being 27, should be able to do it no problem. Just kidding.

If it was summer, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Driving in the winter will suck. But you're right, I'll probably head dead south right away, just to get to a warmer climate.

I actually really want to do this. I think it would be a great experience.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 AM

Our trip was a great experience. Except for two sections (southern edge of KY to Macon, GA and Jacksonville FL south) we stayed off the interstates, and that made the trip in the S all the better, particularly with the top down. Even the "boring" stretches were fine because the small car on the small roads puts you close to the world out there, not so insulated like you are on the interstates.

But I can see how getting from Chicago to SD would be a bit intimidating in the winter. Just watch out for blizzards. HPH

Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip?