S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Daily or Occasional Driver vs. Track Car

Old 05-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Daily or Occasional Driver vs. Track Car

I'm a recent S owner ('06 Suzuka Blue w/50k). I've used this forum to find a lot of info and DYI's (Thanks all). One thing I have noticed is a wide variety of opinions on everything from fluids to torque settings. My question is, how does the info change depending on the use of the car? I understand that the rigors of putting a car on a track are much different than that of everyday driving. I have no plans to track my car, just some "spirited" driving.

One topic that has had a lot of discussion is oil filters. For a daily driver, does it really matter if I use the "PCX" filter or a good quality K&N or similar? I saw one comment about the engine rev'ing to 9k pushing a lot of oil, but my RX8 also rev'd to 9k+ and I had no engine issues with generic oil filters.

My intention isn't to start a flame war and I understand that following the advice from an owner that regularly tracks their car will exceed the needs of in my situation. I would like to be able to separate the absolutes from the track requirements/recommendations to allow me to prioritize the areas to address.

For the record, I plan to change my oil, diff & transmission fluids using Mobile 1 (10w-30 in the engine, 75w-90 in the diff) and Honda MTF.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure what you're looking for in a response but why risk it with a different filter? Is it to save a couple of bucks or convenience? The difference between a high quality non-OEM filter and PCX is $5 or so that is not much of a delta.

This forum has and shares quite a bit of knowledge...more so than others I've experienced, as such when people consistently recommend the PCX filter consistently...you don't find out why.

Sorry I'm not much help. I run quality non-oem filters in all of my other cars but the F20/F22 is a unique engine so I just stick with OEM here.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 05-09-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by jts09
I'm a recent S owner ('06 Suzuka Blue w/50k). I've used this forum to find a lot of info and DYI's (Thanks all). One thing I have noticed is a wide variety of opinions on everything from fluids to torque settings. My question is, how does the info change depending on the use of the car? I understand that the rigors of putting a car on a track are much different than that of everyday driving. I have no plans to track my car, just some "spirited" driving.

One topic that has had a lot of discussion is oil filters. For a daily driver, does it really matter if I use the "PCX" filter or a good quality K&N or similar? I saw one comment about the engine rev'ing to 9k pushing a lot of oil, but my RX8 also rev'd to 9k+ and I had no engine issues with generic oil filters.

My intention isn't to start a flame war and I understand that following the advice from an owner that regularly tracks their car will exceed the needs of in my situation. I would like to be able to separate the absolutes from the track requirements/recommendations to allow me to prioritize the areas to address.
The PCX filter gets torqued on, in order to seal properly and prevent an engine fire...or...as firemen call it; the ultimate flame war.

I'm sure other people have been fine with other filters. I've always used PCX. Besides functionality, I feel (opinion), that an aftermarket filter cheapens the car's look. I buy gangs of them from bernardiparts.com or similar sites.

Also, I think quite a bit of philsophy has shifted to the use of 0W30 oils, rather than 10W30. But 10W30 works fine too. Don't let yourself get too hung up on oil. The S2000 runs fine on any oil.

In a few posts, you'll find people posting what oil they use even though you did not explicitly solicit such advice.

The lesson you can learn, however, is that the car doesn't really care what type or brand of oil you use as long as viscosity resembles something close to Honda's spec.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I routinely use the Honda PCX filter. I've been known to place the K&N on the car as well. Just stay away from Fram.

Last edited by Langelo DeMysterioso; 05-10-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

there has been concern with oil flow with non-oem filters, so it's safer to go oem. that's about all the info i think you're going to get on that, although there is an old thread where various filters were opened up and compared.

one thing i can say with certainty is that the oem cv joint grease is junk and will cause pitting. using thicker grease like redline will prevent most of the pitting.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM PCX filter is a must. like the other poster mentioned, the difference betwen OEM one and generic ones are 5 bucks.

everything else, i think you can just use mobil1 , honda mtf...etc. you are not going to be stressing the car as much if you are not tracking it

since you are going on spirited drives, make sure you use a decent brake fluid so it doesn't reach boiling point that easily
Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Why would anyone use a non-spec part on a car? Any car? Especially if the right part is figuratively sitting on the shelf next to it.

The S2000 is not a race car, it's a street car. Daily driven or only weekends. Includes spirited driving -- this is a sports car. The OEM specs and maintenance schedules reflect this. A specific oil filter is indicated for the car. As is premium gasoline. As is hypoid gear oil for the differential. As is tire pressure. As are the spark plugs. The list goes on. There is a severe maintenance schedule listed in the owner's manuals prior to 2006. Perhaps the Maintenance Minder handles this in the late cars.

The Maintenance Minder will note when to perform things. It seems to do a good job of monitoring things and specified an oil change was needed before I got to the "book" 7500 mile interval based on how I drive. Will see if it prompts me for other services.

Oil? The spec remains 10W-30. Synthetic is allowed but neither required nor recommended. It's cheap in the grand scheme of things and performs better with the engine is cold. I'm not seeing much disagreement on torque settings or fluid specs. 0W or 5W vs 10W-30 isn't a disagreement, any will work. Honda differential oil in the differential won't.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

To add to the excellent advice already in this thread, some have found that certain oil brands burn faster in this engine than others. So if you have high oil consumption, try switching brands and if you find one that seems to work for your car, stick with it.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Why would anyone use a non-spec part on a car? Any car? Especially if the right part is figuratively sitting on the shelf next to it.

The S2000 is not a race car, it's a street car. Daily driven or only weekends. Includes spirited driving -- this is a sports car. The OEM specs and maintenance schedules reflect this. A specific oil filter is indicated for the car. As is premium gasoline. As is hypoid gear oil for the differential. As is tire pressure. As are the spark plugs. The list goes on. There is a severe maintenance schedule listed in the owner's manuals prior to 2006. Perhaps the Maintenance Minder handles this in the late cars.

The Maintenance Minder will note when to perform things. It seems to do a good job of monitoring things and specified an oil change was needed before I got to the "book" 7500 mile interval based on how I drive. Will see if it prompts me for other services.

Oil? The spec remains 10W-30. Synthetic is allowed but neither required nor recommended. It's cheap in the grand scheme of things and performs better with the engine is cold. I'm not seeing much disagreement on torque settings or fluid specs. 0W or 5W vs 10W-30 isn't a disagreement, any will work. Honda differential oil in the differential won't.

-- Chuck
Exactly this.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PCX oil filters only for me as well though I use other brands for my and my kid's other cars.

I did switch from M1 to Pennzoil Platinum based on many threads on here of folks who had increased oil consumption using M1-- especially in AP1s. I never experienced it in either of my AP2s but switched to be safe. (and PP is one of the top oils recommended by folks on bobistheoilguy.com ).

Both M1 and PP are available in 5 qt jugs at Wallyworld near me for less than $25- a great deal compared to the local auto parts stores.

I'm sure many others have and continue to use M1 in the S2ks without issues

Quick Reply: Daily or Occasional Driver vs. Track Car