S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealer Clutch Replacement: Only $5328.24

Old 12-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could have shipped the car to LHT and still spend less than 5K.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 1,269 Likes on 959 Posts

Everyone make up your minds based on one sentence and Lmk
Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 AM

I once heard from my cousin's gardener's uncle about a guy that went to a dealer and asked for an oil change.

Allegedly, the service guy pinched his cheeks and invoiced him for $2500, stating the owner was "too cute and chubby to leave here without over paying".

Please support my claims.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 1,218 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by silenc3x
I love my local dealership's service dept and I trust them. Been going to them about 6 or 7 years now. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they only let one dude touch it, who also has an S2000. All of the work is warrantied which gives me peace of mind as well. Clearly not all dealerships are created equal, even though they all carry the Honda name. They specifiy their own prices and all have totally different management/staff/policies/prices. I think it's important to find someone you trust and has reasonable rates, whether it's a mechanic or a dealership.

Recently I had an Urge Unicorn header installed and valve cover replaced for like $600. (i supplied parts)

Their real money maker is the parts department, so I just go in there with the exact parts and have them do the labor. Majestic or Hondapartsnow has much better rates.
They must have some crazy labor rates. I can do both of those in an hour and a half without trying hard. It took an hour to put in my PLM header while having a conversation with my wife. 20 minutes to replace a valve cover on this car should be sufficient. Around here in the Twin Cities, $600 would be most of a days labor. They likely charged you a minimum half day shop labor and THEN charged you the actual time to do the work on top of that.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 423 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I once heard from my cousin's gardener's uncle about a guy that went to a dealer and asked for an oil change.

Allegedly, the service guy pinched his cheeks and invoiced him for $2500, stating the owner was "too cute and chubby to leave here without over paying".

Please support my claims.
How do you know Uncle Bruce?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 1,218 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
$2,700, at $150/hr, is 18 hours, or basically three days of solid work.... in a place with all the tools necessary to do this job easier than most...
For a job that should take a professional 8 hours tops in an equipped shop. About 10 hours at home on jack stands :P

Dealer rates have gotten cray too. We charge $155/hr for qualified EE's and SW engineers developing custom medical devices! At the dealerships, you are paying for all those nice waiting rooms, "free" coffiee, etc along with normal overhead and what they actually pay their techs. Glad I grew up around a shop learning to work on my own ... that was a blessing I will always be thankful for. Dad saved me a lifetime of costs by teaching me from a young age. It has just gotten too expensive to get a car worked on!

Dont know if the OP's story is totally true or exaggerated hearsay, but if true, that is pure craziness.

I do know that BMW wanted to charge my friend $600 to replace front pads and rotors on their 3 series. And even better, there is TONS of life left in the pads when the sensors go and tell you to replace. You know, those $20 sensors that replaced the simple, dead reliable, squeal tabs that all other cars have used forever. Long story short, I do my friends brakes now. Takes me about 20 minutes per end of the car. Even with buying parts, saves them hundreds each time. More when they learned how much life is left in the pads when the car tells you to replace them lol
Old 12-05-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
How do you know Uncle Bruce?

He's solid on trustworthyness, that's for sure
Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The OP really pisses me off. I hate hearing stories like this!

I do all my own work except for trans and motor swaps, just not something I enjoy doing at this stage in life if I can avoid it. Ive been through many of those items on this car in the 15 years ive owned. There is a local Honda master mechanic our local club uses on occasion. He does side work out of his garage and charges a strait $500 labor to do a clutch job or trans swap and $1000 to do a motor swap. In one instance I recall dropping off my car to him in the morning and picked it back up with a new trans later that afternoon lol.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Billman replaced my clutch in less than 3 hours with the car on jackstands. It was like a choreographed dance. No wasted motion. New oem disc, pp and bearing, exchanged flywheel. I paid roughly one fourth of what that lady did.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I had my clutch done by a local speed shop last year. I spent $500 on OEM Honda parts and the labor was $700.

Quick Reply: Dealer Clutch Replacement: Only $5328.24