S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

dealership complaint

Old 04-08-2003, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealership complaint

a long time lurker I finally have something I would like to post for help.
I have a dealership complaint and I was wondering the best way of getting the complaint heard by people that matter.

The dealership in question has been represented by users on this board and I'm sure I just happened to hit the wrong people at the wrong time or whatever, but their behavior was extremely unprofessional and distressing. I love hondas and s's, but I'm sure not going back there other than to pick up my license.

The finance manager chased us out to our car and was blocking the way so we couldn't turn or leave the place and was screaming at us. To add irony to it he was screaming that the other dealers numbers which I had quoted from that dealer didn't add up and promptly followed that up with the brilliant calculation of 60*$5 = $180.

For the record the bank confirmed the other dealers numbers added up perfectly (what a surprise there), and I'll be sure to bring that paper work when I stop by for my license. They read this board so I'm sure they know who they are.

Now the question is how do I complain about how I was treated at this place. It borders on illegal with false imprisonment (restricting me to the lot and not letting me leave) and harassment (screaming at us and yelling run run) and something that just doesn't belong in a professional place.

Who is the person to request at the dealer to get my message across and is there a way to get my message to Honda itself? Dealers are commonly not liked, but it puts the brand itself in a bad light if dealers represent themselves this way! I didn't notice a relevant number for honda.

note to moderators, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I'm kinda frazzled by the experience.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 AM

holy shat...can't believe that happened to you. To be fair though, did you do anything to provoke this kind of behavior. If not, I have no idea who you would get a hold of. If so, then your argument would not be as strong. Regardless, there is little a person can do that warrants this kind of behavior from a place of business. Go get 'em!!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:35 AM

Ya, for real man, go get em. That gives all honda's a bad name. G'luck

Brandon
Old 04-08-2003, 08:43 AM

I said their terms were not acceptable and that I was going. He was trying to point out there calculations didn't add up, but I have already confirmed with calculations from my bank that they did.
Earlier in the day I had been to another honda dealership and had a deal with the finance manager and sales manager already laid out and ready on a new s and warranty already.
It was a pretty good deal as far as s2ks go on in socal, no doubt (still over msrp), but more than I really feel comfortable paying considering what job security and time to rehire means nowdays.
so I go to this dealership and they offered me the same terms on a used s2k with 20000 miles on it, already modded and in a way that seemed like it was going to produce more noise than any power. I said no thank you I can get the same deal on a brand new s2k, showed him the numbers produced by the finance manager at the other place. They talked about it in another room with their gaggle of people, came back out and told me the numbers they had just didn't add up and offered me a slightly better price $8 cheaper/month on the car. I said no, there's no way I'm going to take that offer, and pointed out that the new car included the warranty and lojack. He started asking do you want those? because I didn't include those, and there's no way you can make that work, and he started trying to make an example of how the lojack alone would push it over the new car price. I said no, the lojack at most is going to cost 5-15/m and that I was leaving. I walked out first and went to my car, he was following my gf who was behind me and talking to her and still trying to show the lojack which is when he pulled out the calculation $5*60=$180, and wouldn't let us leave and was taunting us. I never once said anything mean or disparaging to him, not before, during, or after, it's not worth my time, but neither is the headache he caused me from the stress.
I don't know if anyone at honda corporate really cares about the dealerships and I'm not really sure the dealership really cares either if they have someone like this interacting with the customers, but I would like to atleast get some satisfaction other than when I stop by and drop off a nice printup off the loan amortization schedule, taxes, and fees to help them learn atleast math and finance skills if nothing else.
god I have to buy a video camera one of these days.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:46 AM

What lead them to act like that?? Sound like you are leaving something out...neverthaless it does sound like they handled the situation rather poorly
Old 04-08-2003, 08:49 AM

There are many things you can do.

For example, you can:
1) Call the dealership and ask to speak to the GM. Tell him/her your story in a calm and professional manner and let them know that this behaviour cost his shop a sale.
2) Also ask for contact info. for the owner. Mail him/her a letter doing the same.
3) Contact AHMC directly. The regional contact is usually in the back of your owners manual.
4) Contact the BBB.
5) Contact the police if "false imprisonment" really bothered you. You're not likely to have the cops take you seriously but maybe the threat of having the HBPD roll onto the lot will be enough to get the GM and/or owner to take your complaints seriously.

Which dealership is this, BTW?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM

Math is math. The numbers either add up or they don't. This is NOT high finance. I always go to a dealer with a finance calculator. They are simple to use. If you are financing the deal, plug in the total and enter in the interest rate and the term and voila...magic number. There is no reason to yell etc. Either he can sell you the car at the PRICE or not. I will admit that about 20 years ago, I was buying a prelude. It was hot at the time and dealers were getting a "premium" I wasn't willing to pay the premium. I checked around and over the phone I told a dealer what I would pay, what I expected in monthly payments (having calculated the going interest rate and term). He said he could do it. I went in and he had the contract all printed up...his monthly was $10 more than what my calculator said (an my calculator was right). I ripped up the contract and walked out telling him that my calculator did not match his calculator. He never tried to explain because he couldn't. Needless to say he did me a favor because another dealer did the deal and even better AND he got other business from me, my friends and family.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:57 AM

I'd rather not say the dealer since I have no indication this is their normal method of operating, and I have no idea how long this guy has been working there or will be working there.
Da Hapa, thanks for 1-3, I'm going to try to get that information today and maybe I can post some results!
cyman, that's all that happened that I know of, it's possible my gf cussed him out or something on the way out, being Italian and not liking bs, but he was in my face at the car and not hers, so I really doubt it.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter whether this is their standard procedure or not. It happened to you. Please tell us which dealer this is, and possibly even the guy's name. One way to make a change is to use our group influence.

Hard to imagine that happening. I'd be seriously pissed. Sleazy negotiating is normal (they can never seem to find any amortization tables when I ask). Insults and physical blocking are not.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:19 AM

Strange that the finance guy/gal would work out the pricing with you. When I bought my car, the talk over price was always with the sales or fleet manager. Only the extended warranty, lojack, and other non-S2000 accessories were discussed with the finance guy/gal.

I don't intend to discredit your complaint, but either:

1. You're exaggerating what happened.
2. Your tone of voice, gestures, or nature may have somehow led the finance guy to believe you were attacking him or putting him down.
3. We're not hearing the whole story.
4. This finance guy has lost his mind, and the general manager and sales manager equally as crazy for not stopping him and running out to apologize to you.

Maybe it's #4, but I would hope that a dealership's entire sales staff isn't that stupid.

Quick Reply: dealership complaint