S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealership says I need a new engine. Rip off?

Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership says I need a new engine. Rip off?

Engine was making funny mechanical noises while I was driving. Brought it down to local Honda Delaership and they are saying the engine has to be replaced with a new engine because it experienced low oil pressure for an extended period of time and ruined the "bottom end". They want $7,000 for a new engine, new clutch, and labor for everything. Is this a fair price? Should I take it elsewhere for another diagnosis? ****ing engine only has 60,000 miles on it and its a 2000 model year. Should I even fix it? Should I just sell it and buy another?

Any help or advice please?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:39 PM

Received 1,275 Likes on 778 Posts

You join today, you don't even pay, and you PM me and tell me to call you.

Kiss off, I'm not a techline.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jun 12 2006, 01:39 PM

Sorry I have a tendancy to rattle on. I am, as you can imagine, not in the best of moods today. Please don't take anything I write as ill-spirited. I am not the greatest with communicating my thoughts on computer messages and that's why I asked before that you call me.

I hope that we can work together in the near future.

Andrew~
Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jun 12 2006, 01:39 PM

Ouch
Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM

With out more technical information it would be tough to say if the motor is indeed bad or not, but the price for a new motor, clutch and labor does not seem that far fetched. I'd definitely get a second opinion though before forking out that kind of cash.

Hope you get some more helpful replies.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How many miles the engine has done is irrelevant. It's how many without oil. An engine with 100 miles on it will be stuffed if it has no oil pressure.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 PM

You know you can just buy a 'bottom end'? The f22 bottom end will fit w/ the f20...I smell upgrade!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM

The service manager at the dealership said he ran diagnostics on it, including finding the car with 4 quarts low of oil, metal sheddings in the oil that was recovered, and said they determined that the engine would need to be replaced. The clutch is not bad he mentioned, but since the engine is already coming out he said he can knock off the labor for that portion of the clutch replacement if I did it now. It car is a MY 2000 and has almost 60K. I will have more info tomorrow when I pick the car up. Would it be detrimental to drive the car home from the dealership? I mean if the engine is already being replaced would it be horribly bad? I am thinking there might be connected components that could be damaged though if I attempt to drive it.

The last time I checked the oil was approx 8 wks ago. And before that, I got an oil change a few weeks before that. So for 8 weeks of commuting 10 miles a day equals at least 400 miles, not including joy riding, etc. When the car started buring oil I don't know though. But it was full of oil when I checked 8 weeks ago.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by OvErMiNd,Jun 12 2006, 02:31 PM
You know you can just buy a 'bottom end'? The f22 bottom end will fit w/ the f20...I smell upgrade!
I have considered the possibility of upgrading an engine now that I have the "luxury" of dealing with this whole mess.

Would that be a feasible alternative? Can you elaborate on your idea a bit for me please?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "deal" they're giving you on clutch labor is bogus. You can pay a mechanic 2 or 3 hundred dollars to do the work off the clock somewhere. What you need to do is get a second opinion somewhere, and if it is indeed your bottom end I would go with the f22 bottom end as mentioned. You'll probably only have to spend 3 grand or so. If there is damage anywhere else... you can always upgrade that too.

Quick Reply: Dealership says I need a new engine. Rip off?