S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Definitive S2000 CR Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised how many people think a s2k R would be redundant. Well to each his own...

My speculation is as follows

If this is really coming from Japan and not a AHM creation, then Club Racer = Type-R. The R used in Type-R comes from the RA nomenclature used in Honda's F1 car naming. If this car is intended for track use, as the currently Club Racer titling tells us, then R badging would be appropriate. Describing past Type-R models as Club Racers is not so far off either.

As for what the car will be like, the best indication will be to look at what Honda has done with past Type-R's and also keeping in mind that the common formula w/ Type-R cars is minimal if any power upgrades, significant lightening, suspension tuning and aerodynamic upgrades.

Power is hard to guess; if this car will be as rare as BC tells us, then hand assembled engines that produce ~10% more power like in the ITR is possible. This route is the cheapest way for Honda to produce a higher output F22 as it does not require drastically new parts to be engineered for the car. If availability is not so limited I'd be surprised to see any significant power bump.

Honda is a cost-conscious company, so expect the weight loss to come from easy things including the deletion of things that are not necessary for the track and substituting parts. Recaro seats, soft top deletion and sound deadening are easy and fairly cheap ways to lose most of the proposed 100kg. Aluminum doors and panels are not.

Downforce treatment similar to the NSX-R would be a fairly cost effective way to make the car much faster around the track and also fits in w/ the whole CR theme.

And if this car is really a type-R then championship white will be the color. Given the origins of this car as a tribute to Honda's racing past and their 50th anniversary, Championship white is a almost requisite corresponding nod to Honda's past.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Having followed religously the past few years i have found a new respect for aerodynamics & their relationship with road racing. i'd like to see maybe something in that department. subtle C/F front splitter & rear diffuser would be something i'd like to see them do. if they're gonna charge more for it, doesn't seem they would do that for just taking things out or different seats.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally the 6yr wait pays off

i hope for better gearing, 9k and not a/c or radio.....
Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR' date='Mar 17 2007, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately nothing.

The post I quoted you didn't mention "CR" at all, so how were you expressing your opinion on why the CR is not being called a Type-R again? Ok fine, you were inferring it since the S2K isn't a grocery getter, but the NSX must be since it has a Type-R variant right?

I was simply pointing out that a hopped up grocery getter is still an extremely quick track car in stock form, regardless of what it's line started life as.
It's called context. You get it from reading the entire conversation.

I was simply pointing out that Type R model variant was a substantial departure from the model on which it was based because the base models left such huge room for improvement. The S2000 does not lend itself to such huge improvement aside from adding boost which Honda won't do because it's not reliable enough for a production car on the F2XC engine platform. The best they could do is design a new coupe chassis to make it lighter and retain stiffness and use a different engine which would be bigger or be boosted and is essentially a brand new very limited production car, not an upgraded version of an existing one, ie. Type R.

CR is a compromise. It takes a pretty well tuned out car and tunes it just that little bit more. A bit like a Type S but S2000S sounds a little redundant don't you think?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thesilverbullet' date='Mar 17 2007, 10:35 PM
finally the 6yr wait pays off

i hope for better gearing, 9k and not a/c or radio.....
Dude, you waited 6 years for something you could have got 6 years ago. The AC takes about an hour to remove and the radio and speakers about another hour. Better gearing is rather vague and subjective.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder who predicted this.
Originally Posted by Bboy AJ
I was right last year for this car. I'm going to make a prediction for 2008: There will be significant change much like the AP1->AP2 change in 2000->2004. Why? Because it's another 4 year interval. Honda does minor, but significant changes, every two years (Glass window, VSA). Every 4 years, however, a massive change occurs.

2008 is it! If nothing significant happens that year, the car will be discontinued soon after.

Just a prediction.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ' date='Mar 17 2007, 11:31 PM
I was right last year for this car. I'm going to make a prediction for 2008: There will be significant change much like the AP1->AP2 change in 2000->2004. Why? Because it's another 4 year interval. Honda does minor, but significant changes, every two years (Glass window, VSA). Every 4 years, however, a massive change occurs.

2008 is it! If nothing significant happens that year, the car will be discontinued soon after.

Just a prediction.
"I'm going to make a prediction for 2008: There will be significant change much like the AP1->AP2 change in 2000->2004"

I'll tell you right now, your 100% wrong.

BC
Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 AM

take this FWIW, i went to my honda dealer here in toms river, nj....the oowner of this this honda dealer and the one 20 mins away make it one of the top selling honda franchises in the country. Well I asked a couple of people i know there about the s2000CR. The general manager said they got the company press release about the car and some other things about it. For one, it will be just like other Type R releases, except much more limited, only dealers that sell high volume of s2ks will more than likely get them. As far as specs go. All he could say is it's still the same 2.2 with revised intake, header and exhaust, little more aggressive ECU tuning and slighlty more aggressive cam profile....NO IVTEC
Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ' date='Mar 18 2007, 01:31 AM
yeah, but i think you are getting confused here - the CR is NOT the 08 S2000. Its a limited run addition to the range. As far as we know, there are NO changes to the 08 currently.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, but i think you are getting confused here - the CR is NOT the 08 S2000. Its a limited run addition to the range. As far as we know, there are NO changes to the 08 currently. [/QUOTE]
There is a little changes to the 08, just a tiny one
But for the most part, you are correct.

How do you know so much now?

Quick Reply: Definitive S2000 CR Thread