S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

From Detroit to Amsterdam - Completed!

Old 12-21-2001, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All:

As some of you might remember, in October 2001 I moved back to the Netherlands after four years in Detroit working for a Dutch company. In February I bought myself a S2000 in Michigan and after a long boat trip it arrived in the Netherlands in my container. Unfortunately, due to delay upon delay, I myself had already taken off for a 4 week vacation in Australia (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney), so it wouldn't be until December 3rd before I could see my baby again!!

As soon as I got back (literally out of the plane) I went straight to the Rotterdam Harbor to get my stuff and car. The only thing wrong was that my car had a small ding in the front bumper, which has been taken care of by the insurance company.

... Anyway ...

My car had to receive one more modification, before I could get it approved on the road, and for which I wasn't totally prepared: The mandatory Rear Foglamp...

Siepel

P.S.: Edited due to broken image links and very obsolete information
Old 12-21-2001, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sooo jealous, you must have practically the only Spa yellow in the whole of Europe!

Whoever did your foglight install deserves congratulations, they even got the right switch for the dash - I see a lot of JDM import S2000s in the UK with cheap horrible fog lights hanging off their back bumper ruining the look of the car.

And you've got cruise control as well!! Great stuff
Old 12-21-2001, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll look out for you next time I'm in Amsterdam - I am sure I will notice that car
Old 12-21-2001, 06:31 AM

Nice to hear you got it back without 'too' much trouble.
You will get loads of attention with that colour in Europe.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:34 AM

Cool stuff! Glad to hear you and your car made it safely back home! I think I was reading a webpage detailing your journey, with pics of your car in the container etc - was this you??

Anyway, I bet the Michigan license plate and Spa yellow draw some eyes eh?
And nice baby Benz
Old 12-21-2001, 07:49 AM

What's the deal with the rear fog light? Lived in Belgium in the 70's and don't remember seeing them (I was only 10-12 yo) The fact that you have a switch must mean they don't have to be on all the time. wasn't the rear lights enough and do they require a center mounted brake light over there? Just wondering. I relly need to get back over!!
Old 12-21-2001, 08:06 AM
Ice

Welcome back Siepel!
Maybe I'll see you around, you probably have the only S2000 with a small format licence plate.

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
I am sooo jealous, you must have practically the only Spa yellow in the whole of Europe!
Spa Yellow is availible here (known as Indy Yellow), saw a couple of them on the road.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:23 AM

Received 4,970 Likes on 3,011 Posts

Dang -- MB, S2k, 4-wk vacations... and you have a legal profession? But you're still in the snow belt!! Merry Christmas.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:40 AM

[Dutch mode on]
Hoi Peter,

welkom terug in ons koude landje. Fijn om te zien dat je mistlamp het doet. Nou we maken binnenkort eens een afspraak hoor.
[Dutch mode off]

Sorry guys for the dutch language.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:11 PM

How did you get the car street legal in amsterdam? I know its almost impossible in the US to get a foreign car street legal (just think of the skyline for instance).

Quick Reply: From Detroit to Amsterdam - Completed!